Powys County Archives Office
Brecon Congregational Memorial College
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/E/FE/2
Title: Brecon Congregational Memorial College
Short title: Brecon Congregational Memorial College
Dates of creation: 1907-1947
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 7 items
Name of creator(s): The governors and administrators of Brecon Congregational Memorial College.
Administrative and biographical history: The Congregational Academy was established in 1757, after separating from the Independent Academy in Carmarthen. It was variously situated at Abergavenny, Oswestry, Wrexham, Llanfyllin and Newtown, before settling in Brecon, to become Brecon Congregational Memorial College. From 1839-1869 it was in St Mary's Street, Brecon; a new building was erected in 1869, on Camden Hill. The college graduates became ministers in Wales and England, and missionaries who travelled to Africa and India. Among the subjects they studied were biblical literature, theism, theology, logic, psychology, chemistry, trigonometry, classical languages, as well as Welsh and German.
Scope and content: Bank books, cash books, subscription books, 1907-1947.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Chronological, in series
Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copy of the catalogue available at PCAO.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records retained
Accruals: Are possible
Archival history: Unknown
Immediate source of acquisition: Transfer from Ceredigion Archives
Archivist's note: Compiled by Anna Page, Assistant Archivist at Powys County Archive Office. Source used: Davies, W. T. Pennar, 'Episodes in the History of Brecknockshire Dissent', Brycheiniog, vol. 3, pp. 11-65.
Rules or conventions: This description follows guidelines provided by UWA Department of Information Studies, based on ISAD(G) 2nd edition, 2000.
Date(s) of description: December 2007