Powys County Archives Office
Deeds relating to Workhouse property (Ffrydd Road), Knighton
Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/DX/4
Title: Deeds relating to Workhouse property (Ffrydd Road), Knighton
Short title: Knighton Workhouse property, deeds
Dates of creation: 1822-
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (22 items)
Name of creator(s): Knighton Poor Law Union
Administrative and biographical history: Knighton Poor Law Union was formed in 1836. The Workhouse was built south of Ffrydd Road, Knighton, Radnorshire, in 1837. In 1872 the Knighton Board of Guardians bought land to the north of Ffrydd Road, including Pig Market Close, previously owned by Edward and Mary Ann Lloyd. The land later came into the possession of Radnorshire County Council and was sold by them to the Welsh Regional Hospital Board in 1959.
Scope and content: Order and Declaration for the constitution of a Board of Guardians of the Poor and the establishment of Knighton Union, 1836; deeds, letters of administration and other documents relating to property in Knighton, Radnorshire, 1822-1959, and photocopies of some documents, .
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Knighton Union constitution; deeds.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records appear to have remained in the custody of Radnorshire County Council and been inherited by Powys County Council. Records copied by Powys County Archives Servics were subsequently transferred to the Area Health Authority, Bronllys.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited and loaned by Mr R. Cawthorne, Legal Section, Chief Executive's Department, 1984.
Existence and location of originals: The originals of photocopied documents are with the Area Health Authority, Bronllys.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The catalogue states that there are 323 deeds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Documents deposited and loaned by Mr R. Cawthorne, Legal Section, Chief Executive's Department, catalogue; The Workhouse website (www.workhouses.org.uk), viewed 28 April 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: April 2005