Powys County Archives Office
Civil Parish Records from the Swansea and Brecon Diocese
Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/DX/52
Title: Civil Parish Records from the Swansea and Brecon Diocese
Short title: Swansea and Brecon Diocese, civil parish records
Dates of creation: 1862-1963
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (4 volumes)
Name of creator(s): Glasbury parish vestry; Llangynllo National School
Administrative and biographical history: Until the late 19th century ecclesiastical and civil administration at the parish level was supervised through the vestry meetings. Under the Local Government Act 1894 the functions were separated and parish councils were established to handle civil administration. The parishes of Glasbury, in Radnorshire, Pipton and Tre-goed and Felindre, in Brecknockshire, fell within the Diocese of St David's until 1923 when the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon was created. Llangynllo National School, Llangunllo, Radnorshire, was in existence by 1870.
Scope and content: Llangynllo National School minutes of managers' meetings, 1903-1963; Glasbury parish vestry minute book, 1862-1894; minutes of parish council meetings for Pipton, 1894-1930, and Tre-goed and Felindre, 1894-1935, Brecknockshire.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Llangynllo National School; Glasbury parish records.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The parish records were housed with the ecclesiastical records of the parish of Glasbury, St Peter.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited, , .
Related units of description: Further records of Llangynllo National School are in Powys County Archives Service, RE/PS/29.
Note: Title probably supplied from name of depositors
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Records from the Swansea and Brecon Diocese (R/DX/52), catalogue; Powys County Archives Service website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 18 April 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: April 2005