Powys County Archives Office
Montgomeryshire Primary School Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 ME/PS
Title: Montgomeryshire Primary School Records
Short title: Montgomeryshire Primary Schools, records
Dates of creation: 1861-1997
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: To be supplied
Name of creator(s): Montgomeryshire Education Committee
Administrative and biographical history: Primary school education in Montgomeryshire developed in the first half of the 19th century through the establishment of voluntary National and British Schools. National Schools were originally established by the National Society to teach an Anglican education while the British Schools originally established by the British & Foreign Society to teach non-sectarian education. The Education Act 1870 supplemented these existing schools through a network of elementary schools provided by School Boards (known as Board Schools). The British Schools became Board Schools while the National Schools remained independent. Under the Education Act 1902 School Boards were abolished and the County Councils became the Local Education Authorities. The Board Schools then became known as Council or County Schools. The Education Committees of county councils were made responsible for elementary and intermediate schools and the Authority administrated the schools and maintained their records. Primary schools in Montgomeryshire for which records have survived include Aberhosan Board/County Primary (CP) (closed 1973); Belan Church of England (CE) Primary (closed 1985); Berriw CE Endowed (closed 1982); Berriw CP; Betws Cedewain Church in Wales (CW) (closed 1995); Bont-dolgadfan CP, Llanbryn-mair (closed 1965); Brooks CP; Berriw (closed 1965); Buttington CE (built 1838, closed 1953); Bwlchcibau CE (closed 1967); Carreghofa CP School, Llanymynach; Cefn-y-coed CP (closed 1950); Cemmaes CE; Cemmaes British/CP (closed 1971); Hussington and Snead (later Churchstoke, Hyssington and Snead) CE; Clatter CP (closed 1985); Commins Coch Board/CP; Cwmbelan Board/CP (closed 1964); Cwmdu Board/CP; Darowen CE (closed 1971); Dernol CP (closed 1946); Derwen-las CP (closed 1967); Dolforwyn CE; Domestic Studies Centre, Welshpool; Dylife CE; Esgairgeiliog, Llanwrin; Forden CE; Glandwr Board/CP; Leighton CP; Llanidloes National/CE School (closed 1952); Llanidloes National/CE Infants (closed 1952); Glandwr Board/CP (Infants), Llanidloes; Gleiniant Board/CP; Hafod Board/CP, Llanerfyl (closed 1944); Hafren CP School, Newtown (opened 1969); Hirnant Board/CP; Isygarreg; Kerry Charity School; Llandrinio; Llandyssil; Llanfair Caereinion; Llangadfan CE; Llangurig (Village) Board/CP; Llangynog Board/CP (closed 1971); Llangynyw CE (closed 1966); Llanidloes CP (opened 1953); Llanllugan (Cwm) Board/CP (closed 1981); Llanllwchaearn CE; Llanwnnog CE; Llanwrin Emergency/CP (closed 1971); Llawr-y-glyn Board/CP (closed 1972); Llidiart-y-waun (Llandinam Board) Board/CP (closed 1969); Llwydiarth (Llanfihangel) CE (closed 1947); Machynlleth CE (seniors); Maesmawr CE (closed 1975); Manafon CP (closed 1995); Manledd (Manledd Upper) Board/CP (closed 1963); Meifod CE; Mellington CE/Mellington Churchstoke County School (closed 1987); Mochdre British/CP (closed 1923); Mochdre CE (closed 1968); Newtown Board/CP; Newtown CE (closed 1968); Newtown National; Oakley Park CP (near Llanidloes); Old Hall Board/CP, Llanidloes; Pant-mawr Board/CP, Llangurig; Pantycrai CP (closed 1995); Pennant CE/CP (closed 1957); Penrhos CE (closed 1966); Pen-y-bont-fawr CE(closed 1971); Penygloddfa British/Board/CP (closed 1957); Penygloddfa Board/CP; Pont Dolanog CE (1874-1948); Pool Quay CE (closed 1946); Rhiwhiriaeth Board/CP (closed 1964); Sarn C of E School (closed 2006);Staylittle Board/CP; Tregynon CP (closed 1995); Trewern CE (closed 1953); Uwchygarreg CE (closed 1937); Vaynor CE (closed 1914); Welshpool Gungrog Road; Wern British/CP and Ysgol Maesydre, Welshpool (formerly Welshpool Junior CE).
Scope and content: School admission registers, log books, minute books of managers, attendance registers, plans and other records of Montgomeryshire primary schools, 1861-1997, in particular those of Belan CE, 1875-1985, Betws Cedewain CW, 1894-1995, Carreghofa CP School, Llanymynach, 1912-1997, Glandwr Board/CP, Llanidloes, 1872-1952, Llangadfan CE School, 1902-1945, Llanidloes National/CE School, 1878-1952, Hirnant Board/CP, 1873-1952, Mellington CE/Mellington Churchstoke County School, 1876-1988, Pennant CE/CP School, 1873-1957, Pool Quay CE School, 1891-1947, Sarn CE School 1864-2006 and Staylittle Board/CP School, 1874-1975.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged by school, then chronological, in series
Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogues are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are expected
Immediate source of acquisition: No information found
Related units of description: Further records of a number of schools are in the National Library of Wales.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Montgomeryshire Primary Schools, catalogues; Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 9 March 2005; Powys Digital History Project (http://history.powys.org.uk), viewed 9 March 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: May 2005