Powys County Archives Office

Mines and Quarries Inspectorate Montgomeryshire Records

Reference code(s): GB 0223 M/MQ

Held at:

Title: Mines and Quarries Inspectorate Montgomeryshire Records

Short title: Mines and Quarries Inspectorate Montgomeryshire records

Dates of creation: 1868-1938

Level of description: Fonds

Extent and medium: (17 maps, 26 slides)

Name of creator(s): Home Office, Mines Inspectorate; Mines Department, Mines Inspectorate


Administrative and biographical history: The Mines and Quarries Inspectorate, now the Mine Inspectorate is part of the Health and Safety Executive and is responsible for checking the construction and safety of mines. An Act of 1850 required colliery owners to provide accurate maps for inspection, and that of 1872 obliged owners to deposit plans of abandoned mines with the Home Secretary. Until 1908 each inspector of mines was in charge of a district within the country and was assisted by local staff. Following reorganisation in 1908 a new Mines Department of the Home Office was created. In 1920 the Mines Inspectorate, the Mining Record Office and the Board for Mining Examinations were absorbed into a new Mining Department. The Inspectorate was transferred to the Ministry for Fuel and Power in 1942 and later the Ministry of Technology and the Department of Trade and Industry.


Scope and content: Plans of mines in Montgomeryshire, 1868-1938, including slides and negatives.


Language/script: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Cwm Ricket and Maesnant lead mines, Llanidloes; Llanidloes, near Brynposteg Hill; Van Central, Llanidloes; Bwylch Creolan Mine, Pen-y-bont Fawr; Dyfngwm Mines, Hirnant Minerals Ltd; West Llangynog Mine; Dylife Mine, Llechwedd Ddu Mine, Penegoes.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the Powys County Archives Service.
Detailed catalogue


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to Powys County Archives Service have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by Powys County Solicitor, 1990.



Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Mines and Quarries Inspectorate, catalogue; The National Archives, Records of the Mines Inspectorate and predecessors, 1850-1968, catalogue.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of description: March 2005



Lead mines and mining | Wales | Powys

Mine inspection | Wales | Powys

Mine maps

Personal names

Corporate names

Great Britain | Mines Inspectorate