Powys County Archives Office
Brecon Museum Papers
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/D/BM
Title: Brecon Museum Papers
Short title: Brecon Museum, papers
Dates of creation: 1661-1966
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): Brecon Museum
Administrative and biographical history: The Brecon Museum, now known as the Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery, is housed in the early Victorian Brecknock Shire Hall with the Victorian Assize Court as the largest exhibit. The town of Brecon, Breconshire, developed outside Brecon Castle, built in 1093. It was the administrative centre of the Lordship of Brecon and received its first charter in 1276 which was confirmed in 1412, 1415 and 1443. It was confirmed by the charter granted by Philip and Mary in 1555, which set out the arrangements for the governance and election of officers for the borough. Mary L. Dawson collected material relating to local history. Some of the papers deal with the Vaughan Morgan family to which Sir Walter Vaughan Morgan, the Lord Mayor of London in 1906 and William Vaughan Morgan (1826-1892), the founder of the firm Morgan Brothers Ltd. were related. The Powell family was related to the Price family, both of Castle Madog. The estates of Samuel Hughes were in Defynog "Llangavalla" and in Montgomeryshire. Maude Powell came from Ynysclydach, Sennybridge. There is material relating to the Wood family of Gwernyfed, the Brecon Gas Company. The Fowler Collection consists of four large scrapbooks of miscellaneous documentary material. There are records of the largest voluntary organisation for women, the Women's Institute in Brecknockshire. Thomas Prestwood Lucas (1800-1871) from Carmarthen graduated from Edinburgh gaining a Partisian qualification in 1826. His father was the first physician to the Brecknock Infirmary and on his death, Prestwood Lucas took on his practice. In 1834 Poor Law Unions were created. Insurance Committees were established in all counties and county boroughs after 1912 to administer the benefits to the working population. The committees operated until 1948. During the second half of the 18th century a good number of roads were built by turnpike trusts. Collection by members of the related Price and Powell families of Castle Madog, Breconshire. John Jeffrey was a merchant and alderman in London. Vi Davies had connections in Brecknockshire, probably with Ystradgynlais. There is material used for V. J. Parry's booklet Brecon & Merthyr Railway which was published in 1970. The Major J. V. Rees collection is belonging to the Rees family of Cantre, Selyff, Brecon. There is material relating to Crickhowell. Buckland Hall was purchased in 1709 from Edward Games by Roger Jones. In the 19th century the Gwynne-Holford family owned the estate. In 1996 Martin and Rhonda Fleming formed Buckland Project Ltd. The Mathew family of Castell-y-mynach, Pentyrch, Glamorgan owned the Hensol estate. Cecil Mathew, daughter and heiress of Charles Mathew of Castell-y-mynach and Hensol married Charles, 1st Baron Talbot. Charles and Cecil's son and heir, William Talbot, 2nd baron, was created Earl Talbot in 1761, and Baron Dynevor in 1780. Archdeacon Henry Thomas Payne (1759-1832) graduated from Balliol College in Oxford and devoted his life to historical studies. The Breconshire County Council was formed under the Local Government Act in 1888. It took over many administrative duties of the Court of Quarter Sessions, such as responsibility for bridges, roads, the police, county rates, county buildings, and licensing. There is material relating to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal, railways, the Priory factory, Brecon, the Owen Price valuers, the Brecon New Gas Company, Talachddu court leets and there are census returns relating to the parish of Llywel. The Jeffreys family have connections with Llywel. In 1891, John Powell Jeffreys received a certificate to practice medicine, surgery and midwifery. There are records relating to parish overseers, Merthyr Cynog and records relating to Davies, Pentwyn, Garthbrengy.
Scope and content: Brecon Museum Papers, including Mary L. Dawson material relating to local history, 1883-1923; Vaughan Morgan family papers and photographs, 1809-1953; papers relating to Thomas Prestwood Lucas, 1780-1871; records of the Breconshire Insurance Committee, 1912-1954; Eleanor Mary Powell collection, 1894-1956; Buckland estate papers, 1780-1935; estate plans of Samuel Hughes, 1854-1885; collection of Maude Powell, 1896-1950; Wood family papers, 1734-1857; the Fowler collection, 1661-1880; records of Women's Institutes, 1851-1966; papers relating to Brecon Borough, 1664-1963; records relating to Brecon New Gas Company, 1855-1949; Jeffreys family papers, [c. 1710]-1891; census returns for Llywel parish, 1841-1970; manors and parish of Talachddu court leets, 1720-1865; list of county bridges, 1902-1920; census reports, 1891-1961; letters relating to Vi Davies, 1848-1892; papers relating to poor law institutions and asylums, 1854-1931; records relating to Brecknock Infirmary, 1915-1927; records relating to railways, 1826-1947; records relating to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal, 1793-1859; records relating to turnpikes, 1787-1888; papers relating to the Mathew family of Castell-y-Mynach, 1461-1880; records relating to the Priory Factory, 1897-1898; papers relating to V. J. Parry, 1859-1962; collection of Major J. V. Rees, 1893-1919; D. Hadley collection of Crickhowell material, 1868-1905; collection of Archdeacon Henry Thomas Payne, 1759-1832; papers of H.S. Vaughan, 1634-[c. 1938]; papers relating to property in Brecon, 1774-1945; papers relating to the Owen Price valuers, 1899-1921; parish overseers documents, Merthyr Cynog, 1782-1847; and records relating to Davies, Pentwyn, Garthbrengy, 1904-1948; and Breconshire County Council records, 1882-1974.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Mary L. Dawson; Vaughan Morgan family; Thomas Prestwood Lucas; Breconshire Insurance Committee; Eleanor Mary Powell; Buckland estate; estate plans of Samuel Hughes; Maude Powell; Wood family; Fowler collection; Women's Institutes; Brecon Borough; Brecon New Gas Company; Jeffreys family; census returns for Llywel; Talachddu court leets; county bridges; census reports; Vi Davies; poor law institutions and asylums; Brecknock Infirmary; railways; Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal; turnpikes; Matthew family of Castell-y-Mynach; Priory Factory; V. J. Parry; Major J. V. Rees; D. Hadley; Crickhowell; Archdeacon Henry Thomas Payne; H.S. Vaughan; property in Brecon; Owen Price valuers; parish overseers, Merthyr Cynog; and Davies, Garthbrengy.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the box list is available at the Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The D. Hadley collection of material dealing with the south west of Breconshire was found in the donor's loft at Caemaen Cottage, Penycae. The material relating to the Crickhowell Union district was found in the barn of Tyralswm, Duff'ryn, Llangynidr by the donors, Mr & Mrs Evans of the same address. The census reports were held by the Clerk of Breconshire County Council. The papers relating to Priory Factory of Brecon were given to the Museum by Gwyneth Price, Woodlands. The Major J. V. Rees collection was bequested by Major J.V. Rees via the solicitor Jones Powell. The collection of Archdeacon Henry Thomas Payne was bequeathed by Beatrice Jones. The papers of H. S. Vaughan were donated by Irene Vaughan, Llandovery. Material relating to the Priory Factory of Brecon (textile manufacturers?) was found in the garret of woodlands, 48 the Struet, Brecon. Some documents were found walled up during the demolition of 6 Ship Street, Brecon, in December l962. In the collection of tithe apportionment and maps the maps of Garth and Rhos-goch Common (Builth Manor) are missing.
Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred from Brecon Museum.
Related units of description: Further papers are Powys County Archives Record Service, GB 0223 B/H; GB 0223 B/G/BR; GB 0223 B/BR; GB 0223 B/C; NLW, GB 0210 BRETER.
Publication note: Alban, J. R., 'Charters of the borough of Brecon, 1276-1517', Brycheiniog 25 (1992/3); Brecon 900, Brecon 900 : 1093-1993 : ... a celebration of nine centuries (Brecon, 1993); Poole, Edwin, The people's history of Brecon (town and county) (Brecon, 1876); Redwood, Pamela, 'The Games family versus the borough of Brecon, 1589-1606', Brycheiniog 25 (1992/3); Thomas, W. S. K., Brecon : c.1093-1660 : an illustrated history (Llandysul, 1991); Walker, David, 'Brecon : the early borough', Brycheiniog 25 (1992/3).
Note: Title supplied from name of collector. The papers precede the life of Thomas Prestwood Lucas.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Powys County Archives Service, Brecon Museum Papers, catalogue; Totaltravel website (www.totaltravel.co.uk/travel/wales/brecon-beacons), viewed 3 March 2005; Buckland Hall website (www.bucklandhall.co.uk), viewed 8 March 2005; Thomas, W. S. K., Brecon : c.1093-1660 : an illustrated history (Llandysul, 1991); Canals & Waterways: Roots and Routes website (www.canals.btinternet.co.uk), viewed 8 March 2005; Burke's Peerage and Knightage (London, 1959); The Women's Institute website (www.womens-institute.org.uk), viewed 8 March 2005; Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2005