Powys County Archives Office
Humphreys and Parsons Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 MD/HPA
Title: Humphreys and Parsons Records
Short title: Humphreys and Parsons, records
Dates of creation: [19th cent. ]-[ 20th cent.]
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): Humphreys and Parsons, solicitors, Machynlleth
Administrative and biographical history: Humphreys and Parsons are a firm of solicitors, lawyers and legal advisors in Machynlleth, Powys. The records relate to their clients. The oldest administrative records date from about the 1870s and concern David Howell, David Evans and Edmund Gillart. David Howell (d.1890) first occurs as a practicing solicitor in 1858. After his death his interest and parts of his property were sold to David Evans (d.1914) and Gillart who became a partner in the law firm in 1887. H. Meredith Roberts served first as clerk in the firm of Howell, Evans and Gillart in 1906. John Evans Thomas (1877-1934) was a prominent Welsh educationalist and a governor to many Welsh institutions such as the National Library of Wales and the National Museum of Wales. All of the solicitors have also held other posts. National Schools such as the Machynlleth National School were originally established by the National Society to teach an Anglican education while the British Schools originally established by the British & Foreign Society to teach non-sectarian education. John Jones established the National School at Machynlleth. The Education Act 1870 supplemented these existing schools through a network of elementary schools provided by School Boards (known as Board Schools). The British Schools became Board Schools while the National Schools remained independent. The Town Hall in Machynlleth was built in 1873 and run by a private company to replace the old market hall in Penrallt Street. There was a market hall downstairs and an assembly room upstairs with civic and community meetings and various entertainments being held there. It was demolished in 1968. There are records relating to the Mid Wales Law Society.
Scope and content: Records of the practice of Humphreys and Parsons, Machynlleth, Powys, relating mainly to the clients of the solicitors David Howell, David Evans, Edmund Gillart, H. Meredith Roberts, John Evans Thomas and Edward Pugh Humphreys, 19th cent. - 20th cent., including records relating to Machynlleth National School, 1853-1895; records relating to charities, 1846-1899; records of the Machynlleth Town Hall Company, 1871-1907; records relating to Machynlleth Urban District Council, 1895-1947; records relating to the Mid Wales Law Society, 1952-1963.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the chronological order and into the clients of the solicitors David Howell, David Evans, Edmund Gillart, H. Meredith Roberts, John Evans Thomas and Edward Pugh Humphreys
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The attics were held in the attic of the firm's offices in Machynlleth. They were also held in offices in Doll Street. Most of the files that were containing mainly correspondence were not collected. The records themselves were not in good order. Boxes and bundles had been mixed. No index was found.
Note: Title supplied from names of collectors
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Powys County Archives Service, Humphreys and Parsons; Shrewsbury website (www.touchshrewsbury.com), viewed 4 March 2005; Welcome to Powys. A Day in the Life website (a-day-in-the-life.powys.org.uk), viewed 4 March 2005; Powys Digital History project(history.powys.org.uk), viewed 4 March 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2005