Powys County Archives Office
Mine Plans deposited by the National Coal Board
Reference code(s): GB 0223 M/D/NCB/1
Title: Mine Plans deposited by the National Coal Board
Short title: Llangynog lead-silver and copper mines, plans
Dates of creation: 1850-1877
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (26 items)
Name of creator(s): Llangynog United Mining Company; New Llangynog Mining Company
Administrative and biographical history: The area of Llangynog, Montgomeryshire, was known for its lead-silver and copper mines. By far the most important mine was the Llangynog Lead Mine, which in the 18th and early 19th centuries was mined by the Chirk Castle and Powis Castle estates and their lessees. The Chirk estate bought the Powis section of the mine in 1851, uniting the mine for the first time. The mine was sold to the Llangynog United Mining Company in 1859. This went into liquidation in 1869 but was replaced with the New Llangynog Mining Company, which survived until 1885. The engineer Henry Dennis (1825-1906) of Ruabon was involved with both companies and produced various plans of the mine. The mine finally closed in 1899.
Scope and content: Plans and sections, 1850-1877, of underground and surface workings, estates and geology at lead-silver and copper mines in Llangynog, Montgomeryshire, particularly the main Llangynog Lead Mine. Some of the plans are by Henry Dennis.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Original order maintained
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: At some point the plans came into the possession of the National Coal Board.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr Prydderch of the National Coal Board, Bersham Colliery, Wrexham, Clwyd, per Shropshire Record Office, 1984.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Mine Plans deposited by Mr Prydderch of the National Coal Board, Bersham Colliery, Wrexham, Clwyd, catalogue; Williams, R. A., The old mines of the Llangynog district (North Powys, Mid Wales) (Sheffield : Northern Mine Research Society, 1985).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2005