Powys County Archives Office
Brecknockshire Health Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/H
Title: Brecknockshire Health Records
Short title: Brecknockshire health records
Dates of creation: 1847-1991
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): National Health Service. Breconshire Executive Council; Mid-Wales Hospital, Talgarth
Administrative and biographical history: From 1888, Breconshire County Council was responsible for healthcare administration in the county. In 1948, following the creation of the National Health Service and other welfare provisions, Breconshire Local Executive Council was established and had responsibility for family practitioner services. The council dealt with family doctors, dentists and pharmaceutical arrangements in Brecknockshire. In 1974 the Powys Area Health Authority was established and took responsibility for healthcare provision in Brecknockshire. The Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth, Brecknockshire was originally called the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum on opening in 1903; the name was changed in 1921. The first patients at the hospital were admissions mainly from the Brecon area but numbers also arrived from towns further afield such as Swansea and Shrewsbury. Although initially intended to cater for 352 patients, at one point at the end of 1925 there were 455. In December 1955 the number of patients had reached 496. In 1994 the total number of patients averaged 140, but 179 could be catered for. In 1974 the Powys Health Authority came into being and assumed control, with matters changing again in 1993 with the formation of the Powys (NHS) Trust. The hospital was closed in 2000 with some facilities being combined with nearby Bronllys.
Scope and content: Records of health services in Brecknockshire, 1847-1991, including National Health Service, Brecon Executive Council minutes, 1947-1974; Mid-Wales Hospital, Talgarth, records, 1847-1991, including administration records, 1847-1971, patient records, c.1900-1988, staff records, 1899-1969, miscellaneous records, c.1898-1991.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into two groups: Group one consists of National Health Service, Breconshire Executive Council minutes; Group two consists of Mid-Wales Hospital, Talgarth records.
Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Powys County Archives Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Breconshire Executive Council minutes deposited by Powys Family Practitioner Committee, Bronllys Hospital, Powys, 1985; Mid-Wales Hospital, Talgarth, records deposited by Mid-Wales Hospital, 2000; a small number of staff records were deposited by Powys Health Authority, 1992; Prya Centre (formerly Talgarth Hospital), Powys, 2001; Brecknock Museum, Brecon, Powys, 2002.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Breconshire, Health records, catalogues.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005