Powys County Archives Office
Vaughan and Vaughan Collection of Breconshire Deeds
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/D/VV
Title: Vaughan and Vaughan Collection of Breconshire Deeds
Short title: Vaughan and Vaughan, Breconshire deeds
Dates of creation: 1671-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (288 items)
Name of creator(s): Vaughan and Vaughan of Builth Wells, Solicitors
Administrative and biographical history: Vaughan and Vaughan are solicitors based in Builth Wells. Hugh Vaughan Vaughan (fl. 1885-1945) of the Castle, Builth married Eva Campbell of the Vicarage, Rhayader in 1885. They owned properties in Lower Pentwyn, Upper Pentwyn and Bedr in Gwennddwr. Eva died in 1932. Halimot Manor of Brecon was the home of Sir Charles Morgan. Dol-llwyd was a water mill that once belonged to John James, a farmer from Llanafan Fawr. Stanley Price Morgan Bligh of Cilmeri Park, Builth was born on 15th February 1870. His father was Oliver Morgan Bligh of Builth and his mother was Ellen Edwards of Buckingham Vale. He married Isabella Blythe in 1913. Bligh owned several properties in Builth, Llangamarch and Llanganten and in 1926 purchased the Clareville Grove Mews, Kensington, London. George Watkin Rice Watkins (fl. 1866-1881) of Llwyn-y-Brain, Llandovery was a Major in the 23rd Fusiliers. The Cambrian House of Llanwrtyd was jointly owned by Margaret Williams and John Llewelyn Edwards. Edwards was a carpenter in Brecon and he died on 3 July 1974. Sudbrook Villa and Rose Cottage of Market St., Builth Wells, was the property of Mrs. Cordelia Williams from 1840 -1912. Miss Margaret Williams became the owner from 1884 -1957. The Bank and the Half Moon is a public house in Builth. Llanafan Fawr, Bronllys, Crickadarn, Llanwrthwl, Gwenddwr, Llangamarch and Llanfaes are parishes in Brecknockshire.
Scope and content: Deeds of properties in the Watton of Brecon, 1824-1848; the Halimot Manor of Brecon, 1832-1890; Llanafan Fawr, 1820-1953; Bronllys Castle of Brecon, 1752-1910; Kings Head Lane, Builth, 1876-1893; Dol-llwyd Mill of Llanafan Fawr, 1810-1841; Crickadarn, 1768-1940; S.P.M. Bligh properties in Builth, Llangamarch and Llanganten, 1818-1933, and in Kensington, London, 1919-1926; Major George Watkin Watkins properties, 1769-1881; Bank Square, Builth Wells, 1813-1911; Cambrian House of Llanwrtyd, 1867, 1880, 1974; Bwlch-coch, Llanwrthwl, 1764-1941; Gwenddwr, 1762-1949; Sudbrook Villa and Rose Cottage Deeds, 1840-1957; Llangamarch, 1832-1901; Llanfaes, 1835-1847; Llanynys, 1806, 1816, 1821; the Strand, Builth, 1730-1867; Erwllwyn, Llanwrthwl, 1671-1913; the Bank and the Half Moon Deeds, Builth, 1778-1859.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following groups: Watton; Halimot Manor; Llanafan Fawr; Bronllys Castle; Kings Head Lane; Dol-llwyd of Llanafan Fawr; Crickadarn; Bligh properties in Builth, Llangamarch and Llanganten; Watkins; Bank Square; Cambrian House; Bwlch-coch; Gwenddwr; Sudbrook Villa and Rose Cottage; Llangamarch, Bligh properties in Kensington; Llanfaes; Llanynys; the Strand; Erwllwyn; the Bank and the Half Moon.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Vaughan and Vaughan of Builth Wells
Note: Title supplied from content of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Vaughan and Vaughan solicitors, Builth Wells catalogue; Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 28 February 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005