Powys County Archives Office
Powys County Archives Library Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/D/LBY/1-7
Title: Powys County Archives Library Collection
Short title: Crickhowell and Brecon Libraries, collection of Parish Council and other papers
Dates of creation: 1714-1986
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.46 cubic metres (23 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Crickhowell Parish and Community Council; Talgarth Library ; Brecon Library; Brecon and Llandrindod Wesleyan Methodist Circuit; Llangattock Parish Church Council; Crickhowell Library
Administrative and biographical history: From the sixteenth century to the end of the nineteenth century ecclesiastical and civil (e.g. poor rates and highways) administration at the parish level was supervised through monthly vestry meetings. Under the Local Government Act 1894 the functions were finally separated, and parish councils were established to handle civil administration. Under the 1974 local government reorganisation, community councils replaced parish councils. Some of the councils accumulated records and historic documents which were transferred to Crickhowell Library and Brecon Library for safekeeping; the libraries also collected material themselves. Some relate to John Hughes (fl. 1891-1926), a gardener at Glangrwyney Court, Llangenny.
Scope and content:
ACCESS AND USE
Archival history: Records of Crickhowell Parish Council was found at Crickhowell Library and transferred to the County Archives Office in October 1994, March 1995 and September 1995.
Immediate source of acquisition: Crickhowell Library