Powys County Archives Office
Painscastle Rural District Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/RD/PA
Title: Painscastle Rural District Council Records
Short title: Painscastle Rural District Council, records
Dates of creation: 1895-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.40 cubic metres (20 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Painscastle Rural District Council
Administrative and biographical history: Painscastle Rural District Council (RDC), Radnorshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Boughrood, Bryn-gwyn, Clyro, Glasbury, Llanbedr Castell-paen (Painscastle), Llandeilo Graban, Llanddewi Fach, Llansteffan and Llowes. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. The Council also became a rating authority in 1925. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Medical Officer of Health and Rating Officer. The Council arranged accommodation for evacuess during the Second World War and constructed social housing in Glasbury in the 1960s. Painscastle RDC was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation, being absorbed into Radnorshire District Council.
Scope and content: Records of Painscastle Rural District Council, 1895-1974, including minutes, 1895-1974; evacuation register of accommodation, 1939; financial records, 1902-1974, including general ledgers, 1902-1937, and Treasurers' account books, 1919-1974; valuation lists and rate books, 1925-1971; architects drawings for Glasbury housing 1963-1964; and registers of dairies and slaughterhouses, 1927-1939.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk; Treasurer; Rating Officer; Surveyor; and Public Health Officer.
Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The Council's records passed to its successor bodies, Brecknock Borough Council and Radnorshire District Council; some ended up in the possesion of Gwynedd Archive Service.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Brecknock Borough Council, 1990, by Gwynedd Archive Service, 1990, and by Radnorshire District Council, 1992.
Related units of description: Further records are in Powys County Archives Service, R/DC, B/RD/HA.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Painscastle Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969); Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 10 February 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005