Powys County Archives Office
New Radnor Rural District Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/RD/NR
Title: New Radnor Rural District Council Records
Short title: New Radnor Rural District Council, records
Dates of creation: 1906-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): New Radnor Rural District Council
Administrative and biographical history: New Radnor Rural District Council, Radnorshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Colfa, Ednol, Evenjobb, Gladestry, Glasgwm, Harpton and Wolfpits, Kinnerton, Salford and Badland, Llandegley, Llanfihangel Nant Melan, Michaelchurch-on-Arrow, Newchurch, New Radnor, Old Radnor and Burlingjobb, Tre-wern and Gwaethla, Walton and Womaston, and the former borough of New Radnor. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer and Rating Officer. New Radnor RDC was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation, being absorbed into Radnorshire District Council.
Scope and content: Records of New Radnor Rural District Council, 1906-1974, comprising minutes, 1906-1974; and general ledger, 1964-1974.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk; and Treasurer.
Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Radnorshire District Council, 1992.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, New Radnor Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969); Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 9 February 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005