Powys County Archives Office
Colwyn Rural District Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/UD/CO
Title: Colwyn Rural District Council Records
Short title: Colwyn Rural District Council, records
Dates of creation: 1894-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.2 cubic metres (10 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Colwyn Rural District Council
Administrative and biographical history: Colwyn Rural District Council (RDC), Radnorshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Aberedw, Betws Diserth, Cregrina, Diserth and Tregoed, Llanbadarn-y-garreg, Llandrindod Rural, Llanelwedd, Llanfaredd, Llansanffraid-yn-Elfael and Rhulen. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. The Council also became a rating authority in 1925. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer and Rating Officer. Colwyn RDC was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation, being absorbed into Radnorshire District Council.
Scope and content: Records of Colwyn Rural District Council, 1894-1974, comprising minutes, 1894-1974; register of licences for building work, 1946-1948; financial records, 1927-1974; and rating and valuation records, 1928-1974.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk; Treasurer; and Rating Officer.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records were transferred to the Council's successor bodies, Brecknock Borough Council and Radnorshire District Council.
Immediate source of acquisition: Parts deposited by Brecknock Borough Council, 1989, 1990; and deposited by Radnorshire District Council, 1992.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Colwyn Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969); Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 9 February 2005. Note that the Colwyn area around Llanelwedd, Powys, is not Old Colwyn and Colwyn Bay, in Conwy.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005