Powys County Archives Office
Hay Rural District Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/RD/HA
Title: Hay Rural District Council Records
Short title: Hay Rural District Council, records
Dates of creation: 1867-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.48 cubic metres (24 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Hay Rural District Council
Administrative and biographical history: Hay Rural District Council, Brecknockshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Aberllynfi, Bronllys, Glyn Fach, Hay Rural, Llaneigon, Llanelyw, Llys-wen, Pipton, Talgarth and Tregoed and Felindre. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. The Council also became a rating authority in 1925. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Public Health Inspector, Surveyor and Rating Officer. Some of these officers appear to have been employed jointly with neighbouring district councils, including Painscastle Rural District Council. The Council was responsible for setting up a cattle market in Talgarth in the 1920s. Hay Rural District Council was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation and its functions were assumed by Brecknock Borough Council.
Scope and content: Records of Hay Rural District Council and Painscastle Rural District Council, 1893-1975, including minutes, 1895-1974; attendance books, 1947-1972; declarations on acceptance of office, 1933-1973; various registers, 1903-1973; wartime evacuation records, 1939-1948; financial records, 1902-1974; parochial ledgers, 1896-1915; rating and valuation records, 1928-1940; housing records, -1971; Surveyor's drawings, maps and plans, 1893-1971; Ordnance Survey maps of the Rural District, [20th century]; Public Health Inspector's records, -1975; and records relating to the establishing of Talgarth cattle market, 1919-1923.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk; wartime evacuation; maps; Treasurer; Rating Officer; Housing Officer; Surveyor; and Public Health Inspector.
Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records passed to Brecknock Borough Council.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Brecknock Borough Council, 1989, 1990.
Related units of description: Further records are in Powys County Archives Service, B/C/P.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Hay Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005