Powys County Archives Office
Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/RD/FP
Title: Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council Records
Short title: Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council, records
Dates of creation: 1961-1966
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.06 cubic metres (3 volumes)
Name of creator(s): Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council
Administrative and biographical history: Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council, Brecknockshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Vaynor (Faenor), Penderyn and Ystradfellte. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman, elected for three years, and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Medical Officer of Health and Surveyor. Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation and its functions were assumed by Brecknock Borough Council, Powys, and Merthyr Tydfil and Cynon Valley Borough Councils, Mid Glamorgan.
Scope and content: Minutes of Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council, 1961-1966.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Brecknock Borough Council, 1989.
Related units of description: Further records are in Powys County Archives Service, B/C/P. A 1955 Grant of Arms is in Glamorgan Record Office, Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Vaynor [Faenor] and Penderyn Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969); HTV, The Wales Yearbook 1995 (Cardiff, 1995).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: February 2005