Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Records of the Bangor Normal College
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XD/91, XS/3948
Title: Records of the Bangor Normal College
Short title: Bangor Normal College, records
Dates of creation: [c. 1855]-1984
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (254 items)
Name of creator(s): Bangor Normal College
Administrative and biographical history: Bangor Normal College (Coleg Normal, Bangor) was a teacher training college founded in 1858, and located in Bangor, Caernarfonshire. It developed in response to a shortage of trained teachers in Wales in the 1840s. It was created through the efforts of the British and Foreign Schools Society and Sir Hugh Owen, and was funded through £11,000 raised through subscription and £2,000 of Government money. Teaching began on temporary premises in January 1858 and the College opened on its permanent site in 1862. It was administered by a 48-member Committee of Management. This was replaced, in 1908, by the North Wales Counties Training College Committee, with representatives of the north Wales County Councils. At the same time, the College expanded and started to admit women. After the First World War, the College expanded through the purchase of the former George Hotel. The College was later run by Coleg Normal Bangor Higher Education Corporation. This was dissolved in 1996, when the College became part of University of Wales Bangor.
Scope and content: Records of Bangor Normal College, [c. 1855]-1984, including minutes, 1883-1978; governing body committee files, 1963-1981; annual reports, 1863-1907; constitution schemes for the Training College Committee, -; plans and other papers relating to the development of the College, 1937-1975; papers relating to courses, 1957-1974; general administration records, 1919-1983; donation books, 1861-1901; financial records, 1882-1981, including financial statements, 1917-1947, and account books, 1895-1976; staff records, 1881-1984, including wages books, 1910-1965; student fees registers and other records, 1932-1982; catering records, 1941-1968; records relating to the George Hotel, 1864-1871; minutes and other papers relating to the University Board for Training Colleges, 1930-1948, and the University Faculty of Education and Education Board, 1948-1969; British and Foreign School Society journals and reports, 1903-1905; printed material, [c. 1855]-1973; papers relating to Welsh theatre companies, 1967-1973; and photographs, [c. 1855]-1956.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Welsh
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: setting up of College; College administration; financial; staff; students; University Faculty of Education and Education Board; University Board for Training Colleges; catering; British and Foreign School Society; George Hotel; printed material; plans and sketches; miscellaneous; and photographs.
Conditions governing access: Closed for 40 years; access allowed with the permission of the Principal Archivist only.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Caernarfon Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Some catering records have not been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: No information found
Related units of description: Further records are in University of Wales Bangor, Department of Manuscripts and Archives.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Cofnodion y Coleg Normal, Bangor/Records of the Bangor Normal College, catalogue; Normal College of Higher Education, Bangor Normal College 1858-1958 (Conwy, 1958); United Kingdom Legislation website (www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/legislation/uk.htm), viewed 6 December 2004.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: December 2004