Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Records of Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XEC/1
Title: Records of Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute
Short title: Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute records
Dates of creation: 1916-1966
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium:
Name of creator(s): Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute
Administrative and biographical history: Madryn Castle Farm School, Pwllheli, Caernarfosnhire, was opened in 1913 by Caernarfonshire County Council as a technical school. It corresponded with many farming and technical bodies. It was closed in 1952, and moved to Plas Glynllifon, once the seat of the Newborough family, becoming Glynllifon Agricultural Institute. In 1948, Thomas John Wynn had sold the Glynllifon site to William and David Tudor, timber merchants, who sold it to Caernarfonshire County Council. It became Glynllifon Agricultural College in 1954, and later became Coleg Glynllifon. Following the reorganisation of post-16 education in Meironnydd and Dwyfor in 1993, Coleg Meironnydd and Coleg Glynllifon merged to form Coleg Meiron-Dwyfor.
Scope and content: Records of Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute, 1916-1966, comprising account books, 1916-1960; inventories, 1925-1954; and correspondence files, 1941-1966.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: account books; inventories; and correspondence files.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available in Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. The catalogue is available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Caernarvon Record Office have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Catalogue of the Records of Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute; Parc Glynllifon (www.gwynedd.gov.uk); Coleg Meirion Dwyfor (www.estyn.gov.uk) viewed 24th September 2004.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: August 2004.