Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Newborough (Glynllifon) Estate Plans
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XD/2A
Title: Newborough (Glynllifon) Estate Plans
Short title: Newborough (Glynllifon) estate plans
Dates of creation: 1745-1958
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): Glynllifon estate
Administrative and biographical history: The origins of the Wynn family, Lords Newborough, lie with the Wynn family of Boduan, Llyn, who claimed descent from Cilmin Troed-ddu. John Wynn was standard-bearer for Edward VI in the fighting near Norwich against Ket and his co-rebels in 1594, receiving Bardsey Island as a gift of honour for his bravery. The estate then descended in the male line. Sir Thomas Wynn (d. 1749) married Francis, daughter and sole-heiress of John Glynne of Glynllifon, thus uniting the Boduan and Glynllifon estates. The Glynne family had acquired Glynllifon by the marriage of Tudur Goch and Morfudd; which became the chief seats of their descendants. It descended in the male line until John Glynne (fl. 1644-1669), whose heiress, Frances married Sir Thomas Wynn (d. 1749). Thomas and Frances's heir was their son Sir John Wynn (1701-1773), 2nd Baronet, who through his marriage to Jane Wynne acquired the Melai and Maenan Abbey estates in Denbighshire and Caernarfonshire. Their son, Sir Thomas Wynn (1736-1807) was made an Irish peer in 1776, becoming known as Lord Newborough. According to the 1873 return of owners of land, Lord Newborough owned an estimated 28,800 acres in Wales (in Caernarfonshire, Merionethshire, Denbighshire and Anglesey), with an estimated rental of £22,728. On the death of Spencer Bukeley, 3rd Baron Newborough in 1888, the title passed to his grandson, William Charles Wynn (1873-1916), 4th Baron Newborough, while the estates went to his youngest son, Frederick George Wynn (1853-1932). On Frederick's death in 1932, the estate reverted to Thomas John Wynn (1878-1957), 5th Baron and brother of William Charles Wynn.
Scope and content: Plans and related papers of the Glynllifon estate, Caernarfonshire, 1745-1958, including plans of Bodfuan Hall, 1832-1928; Glynllifon mansion, 1794-1928; Glynllifon Park, 1751-1935; Llandwrog Church, 1790-1869; and printed maps, 1745-1829.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into two groups: Group one consists of plans relating to Aberdaron, Abererch, Aberffraw, Amlwch, Bardsey, Betws Garmon, Bodfuan, Botwnnog, Bryncroes, Caernarfon, Carnguwch, Clynnog, Conwy, Corwen, Criccieth, Deneio, Dolbenmaen, Dolgarrog, Dwygyfylchi, Edern, Ffestiniog, Gyffin, Holyhead, Llanaelhaearn, Llanarmon, Llanbeblig, Llanbedycennin, Llanberis, Llandwrog, Llanedwen, Llanfaelrhys, Llanfaglan, Llanfairisgaer, Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Llanfair Talhaearn, Llanfihangel Tre'r Beirdd, Llanfwrog (Anglesey), Llangernyw, Llangian, Llanllyfni, Llannor, Llanrhaeadr Dyffryn Clwyd, Llanrug, Llanrwst, Llanwnda, Llanystumdwy, Maenan, Mellteyrn, Nefyn, Newborough, Penllech, Penmorfa, Penmynydd, Penrhos, Pistyll, Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Ynyscynhaearn, Mixed parishes, Unknown parishes, Unidentified buildings and building work, Technical and mechanical drawings; Group two consists of General plans, Aberdaron, Abererch, Aberffraw, Bardsey, Bodfuan, Caernarfon, Clynnogfawr, Conwy, Denbigh, Dolgarrog, Dwygyfylchi, Dwyran, Ffestiniog, Holyhead, Llanberis, Llandwrog, Llandygai, Llanrhuddlad, Llanwnda, Llanystumdwy, Maenan and Llanrwst, Nefyn, Pwllheli, Unidentified buildings, property and works; Roads, Railways, Ships and boats, Technical plans and handbills, Printed and other plans used as architectural examples, Printed maps and miscellaneous.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available in Caernarfon Record Office and the National Library of Wales.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Caernarfon Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: Most of the plans were found in the estate office, although some were found among the rest of the estate's archive. Letters, specifications and other items linked to plans have been retained with the plans. Plans which were related to other records and were not found with the main bulk of plans were retained and catalogued with the main Newborough estate fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded
Related units of description: The main Newborough archive is Caernarfon Record Office, XD/2. Further material is National Library of Wales, GLYNLIFFON.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Newborough (Glynllifon) Estate Plans, catalogue; Griffith, John Edwards, Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Families, (Wrexham, 1998 reprint); James, Brian, 'The Great Landowners of Wales in 1873', National Library of Wales Journal, XIV (1965-6); Roberts, Glyn, 'The Glynnes and the Wynns of Glynllifon', Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society, vol. 9 (1948); E.D. Jones, 'Deposited Collections: The Glynllivon deeds, documents, and papers', National Library of Wales Journal, VI (1949-1950); Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: August 2004