Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office

Papurau G. O. Jones

Reference code(s): GB 0219 XM/5564, XS/2856

Held at:

Title: Papurau G. O. Jones

Short title: Jones, G. O., papurau (papers)

Dates of creation: 1842-1982

Level of description: Fonds

Extent and medium: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): G. O. Jones

CONTEXT

Administrative and biographical history: G. O. Jones (fl. 1969-1982) of Ael-y-Garth, Caernarfon, Caernarfonshire, was the headmaster of Caernarfon Free School and of Maesincla Junior School, Caernarfon. He also researched the history of Caernarfon and churches in the parish of Llanbeblig, most notably St Mary's Church and Christ Church. He wrote pamphlets on their histories.

CONTENT

Scope and content: Papers of G. O. Jones, 1842-1982, comprising research notes on the history of Caernarfon's churches, 1908-[c. 1969], the history of the town, 1969, and other subjects, [?1920]-1973; minutes of Caernarfon National School committee, 1842-1869; original material relating to the parish of Llanbeblig and its churches, 1921-1982, including lists of clergy and officials and statements of account, 1926-1982, annual financial reports, 1941-1945, and miscellaneous letters, 1921-1976; books and pamphlets, some by G. O. Jones, on religion and local church history, 1954-1980; journals, 1910-1978; and photographs relating to St Mary's Church, Caernarfon, 1904-1910 and [n. d.].

ACCESS AND USE

Language/script: English, Welsh

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: research notes of G. O. Jones; original material; religious books and pamphlets; journals; and miscellaneous.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives.
Detailed catalogue

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Immediate source of acquisition: No information found

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from creator of fonds. The fonds contains material collected by G. O. Jones pre-dating his birth.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Papurau y diweddar Mr G. O. Jones/Papers of the late Mr G. O. Jones, catalogue.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of description: August 2004


INDEX ENTRIES

Subjects

Caernarfon (Wales) | Church history

Caernarfon (Wales) | History

Church buildings | Wales | Gwynedd

Church buildings | Wales | Llanbeblig

Jones, G. O. | (George O.) | Archives

Schools | Wales | Caernarfon

Personal names

Jones, G. O. (George O.)

Corporate names

St Mary’s Church (Caernarfon, Wales)

Places

Caernarfon

Llanbeblig