Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Garlandstone Museum, Porthmadog, Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XM/4229; XS/2129
Title: Garlandstone Museum, Porthmadog, Collection
Short title: Garlandstone Museum, Porthmadog, collection
Dates of creation: 1872-1958
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: [to be supplied]
Name of creator(s): Garlandstone Museum, Porthmadog
Administrative and biographical history: Porthmadog is a harbour town created early in the early 1800s. The town's prosperity was founded on the slate trade from the quarries of Blaenau Ffestiniog. A private maritime museum was established in an old ketch, the Garlandstone, built in Devon in 1908, which used to sail from the port; it was permanently berthed at Oakley No. 3 Wharf in the old harbour. The museum collected a range of material relating to the port and its ships. The museum became part of Gwynedd Maritime Museum, and is now Porthmadog Maritime Museum. The Garlandstone passed to the National Museums & Galleries of Wales. In 1987, the ship was leased to Morwellham Quay Industrial Museum, Devon, and in 2000 became its property. Captain Murdock was the master and owner of Garlandstone. David Williams , a shipbuilder, was born in Porthmadog in 1862.
Scope and content: Documents relating to Porthmadog, 1872-1914, including Porthmadog Harbour correspondence, 1872-1914; financial records, 1868-1909; miscellaneous papers, 1850-1978; bills of sale, 1873-1893; papers of David Williams, shipbuilder, and others, 1880-1906; and photographs of various ships, including the Garlandstone, 1905-1958, and of Porthmadog Harbour.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: Welsh, English
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: documents and photographs
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available in Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. The catalogue is available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Caernarvon Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Note: Title supplied from collector of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Catalogue of the Garlandstone Museum, Porthmadog, Collection; An Introduction to Porthmadog Harbour ([s.l. Gwynedd Planning/Archives Department, [c. 1986]).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: August 2004.