Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Papers relating to Administration and Estate lands of Friars' School, Bangor
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XES/5/Friars and Friars Additional
Title: Papers relating to Administration and Estate lands of Friars' School, Bangor
Short title: Friars' School, Bangor, papers
Dates of creation: [post 1536]-1968
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): Friars' School, Bangor
Administrative and biographical history: The Bangor Old Grammar School, Bangor, Caernarfonshire, commonly known as Friars' School, was established in 1557 following instructions in the will of Dr Geoffrey Glyn of Anglesey (d. 1557), a civil lawyer, which provided the site of the dissolved Dominican Friary and its lands in Bangor for a school to educate children from poor families. The Bangor Old Grammar School moved to a new site in 1900. The school is now part of Coleg Menai.
Scope and content: Papers relating to the administration and estate lands of Friars' School, Bangor, Caernarfonshire, [post 1536]-1968, including deeds and related documents, 1560-1884; wills, 1557-1570; legal suit records, 1573-1768; petitions, [16th century]; letters, [post 1579]-1911; rentals, 1769-1874; admissions registers, 1903-1946; registers, 1885-1928; financial records, 1564-1944; copies of school magazine, 1935-1968; miscellaneous, [post 1536]-1957; plans, 1867-1920; and photographs, 1890-1948.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged into five groups, by type and deposit: Group One, deeds and allied documents, wills, legal suits, petitions, letters, rentals, accounts and receipts, miscellaneous, and plans; Group Two, admission registers, registers, and miscellaneous; Group Three, school magazines and photographs; Group Four, photographs; and Group Five, school magazine.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available in Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. The catalogue is available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Caernarfon Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Related units of description: Further material relating to Friars' School is Anglesey County Record Office, WDAG and University of Wales Bangor, Department of Manuscripts and Archives, Belmont MSS.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Papers relating to the Administration and Estate lands of Friars' School, Bangor, catalogue (2 vols); Bangor Diocese Homepage (http://www.esgobaethbangordiocese.org/index.htm) viewed 27 July 2004; Griffith, William P. Some passing thoughts on the early history of Friars School, Bangor. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 49 (1988), p. 117-149
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2004