Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Papurau Capel Coch
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XD/49
Title: Papurau Capel Coch
Short title: Capel Coch, papurau (papers)
Dates of creation: -1982
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: To be supplied
Name of creator(s): Capel Coch (Church); Capel Hebron (Church); Gorffwysfa (Church); Preswylfa (Church)
Administrative and biographical history: Capel Coch was a Calvinistic Methodist chapel founded in the slate quarrying village of Llanberis, Caernarfonshire, in 1777. Various religious revivals, and the expansion of the quarrying industry locally, led to the expansion of Capel Coch's congregation and the building itself. The chapel was rebuilt in 1802 and 1846, with the present building dating from 1893. In addition, at various times members of Capel Coch broke away to establish new chapels in the vicinity. Capel Hebron was established in nearby Gwauncwmbrwynog in 1835, became a separate church in 1859 but closed in 1958. Gorffwysfa was established at Coed y Ddôl in 1866 and produced its own offshoot, Preswylfa, in 1882.
Scope and content: Records of Capel Coch, -1982, including minutes, 1886-1982, registers of membership, baptisms and deaths, -, financial records, 1832-1980, correspondence, 1907-1981, annual reports, 1965-1980, programmes and orders of service, 1923-, papers relating to the history of the church and to church celebrations, 1921-1977, records relating to the Sunday School, 1867-1976, and contractors' and builders' estimates relating to a new schoolroom, 1907-1909; records of Capel Hebron, 1878-1958, including annual reports, 1925-1955; records of Gorffwysfa, 1870-1981, including minute books, 1888-1975, registers of membership and baptisms, 1872-1978, financial records, 1870-1975, correspondence, 1923-1975, Sunday School records, 1900-1977, and annual reports, 1935-1977; records of Preswylfa, 1886-1974, comprising account and collection books, 1886-1974, annual reports, 1907-1956, and Sunday School account books, 1915-1973; miscellaneous reports, 1948-1979; and miscellaneous religious material, [1876?]-1980.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: Welsh, English
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Capel Coch; Capel Hebron; Gorffwysfa; Preswylfa; cyffredinol [general]; and adroddiadau [reports].
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Caernarfon Record Office and the National Library of Wales.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: No information found
Existence and location of originals: The Baptism Register for 1809-1837 (XD49/1/23) is a copy of the original held at the National Archives.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Papurau Capel Coch (Capel Coch Papers), catalogue; Owen, John, Daucanmlwyddiant Eglwys MC Capel Coch Llanberis: Hanes yr Achos 1777-1977 (Gwasg Gwynedd, 1977).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2004