Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Bangor English Methodist Circuit records
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XD/20
Title: Bangor English Methodist Circuit records
Short title: Bangor English Methodist Circuit records
Dates of creation: 1832-1957
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium:
Name of creator(s): Bangor English Methodist Circuit
Administrative and biographical history: Methodist churches were grouped into circuits, with a superintendent minister; several circuits formed a district. The Caernavon English [Wesleyan] Circuit, Caernarfonshire, was later known as Caernarvon and Bangor English [Wesleyan] Circuit. In 1897, the Caernarvon and Bangor English [Wesleyan] Circuit established a missioner at Porthmadog. The Caernarvon and Bangor English [Wesleyan] Circuit was later known as Bangor English Methodist Circuit.
Scope and content: Minute and account books, 1841-1947; correspondence, 1832-1931; circuits schedule books, trust schedules and other statistical and financial records, 1835-1957; circuit plans of the Caernavron and Bangor English Wesleyan Methodist circuit, 1857-1969; Bangor society, 1901-1957, and trustees' records, 1884-1921; Caernarfon society, 1878-1909, and trustees' records , 1843-1926; and Porthmadog society, 1892-1897, and trustees' records, 1836-1902.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Welsh
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: circuit records; Bangor; Caernarfon; and Porthmadog.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available in Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. The catalogue is available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Caenarfon Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Publication note: James Egan Moulton, Wesleyan Methodist Magazine, 1982, p. 492; and John H. Davis, St. John Methodist Church Bangor, A Story of a People and their Buildings (Bangor, 1975).
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Bangor English Methodist Circuit records; Methodism in Wales website (www.westwales.co.uk/methodism) viewed 27th September 2004.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2004