Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary Records
Reference code(s): GB 0219 XY/1
Title: Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary Records
Short title: Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary, records
Dates of creation: 1811-1969
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 153 items
Name of creator(s): Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary
Administrative and biographical history: The Loyal Dispensary, Bangor, Caernarfonshire, was opened in 1810, primarily to provide vaccines for smallpox. In 1845, the institution moved premises to Upper Bangor, and was re-named the Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary (C. & A. Infirmary). It employed surgeons and a physician, but even in 1882 only had 11 beds. The Infirmary closed in 1984, when the new Ysbyty Gwynedd was opened.
Scope and content: Records of Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary, 1811-1972, comprising governors' minutes, 1878-1946; medical and staff committees minutes, 1931-1959; wages book, 1946-1948; annual reports, 1837-1957; papers relating to the development of the premises, 1922-1972; accounts and financial records, 1909-1950; correspondence, wills and accounts relating to bequests, 1927-1946; admission registers, 1903-1945; special treatment books, 1938-1964; papers relating to medical conditions, 1951-1958; miscellaneous administrative papers, [?1932]-1964; Medical Advisory Committee and Consultants' Association papers, 1949-1968; Past Nurses League journals, 1959-1964; copy conveyance, 1811; photograph of the Infirmary, 1907; and miscellaneous printed matter, 1948-1968.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: governors' minute books; wages book; minute books, medical and staff matters; annual reports; papers re. development of premises; accounts and financial records; bequests; Medical Advisory Committee and Consultants' Association; admission registers; special treatment books; papers re. medical conditions; miscellaneous papers re. hospital administration; Past Nurses League journals; miscellaneous; copy conveyance of land; and photograph.
Conditions governing access: No item (other than printed material of a public nature) may be consulted unless it is at least thirty years old. Documents naming patients or listing individual treatments are closed to public inspection for a period of one hundred years.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Related units of description: Further records are in Anglesey County Record Office, WDAF/56.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Cofnodion Ysbyty Môn ac Arfon/Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Infirmary Records, catalogue; Dodd, A. H., A History of Caernarvonshire (Wrexham, 1990).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2004