West Glamorgan Archive Service
Aberavon Petty Sessions
Reference code(s): GB 0216 PS A
Title: Aberavon Petty Sessions
Short title: Aberavon Petty Sessions
Dates of creation: 1894-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: approximately 2.75 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Aberavon Petty Sessions
Administrative and biographical history: Aberavon Petty Sessions Division was created in 1894 out of parts of Neath Hundred and the Newcastle and Ogmore Division. Its area of jurisdiction included the parishes of Margam, Michaelston-super-Avon (Michaelston Higher and Lower hamlets), Baglan (Higher and Lower hamlets), and Glyncorrwg. Aberavon Borough had its own petty sessions (records of which are listed as P/S PT). In 1921 the Borough of Aberavon was enlarged to take in Baglan Lower, Michaelston Lower and Margam, and renamed Port Talbot. The Borough Petty Sessions Division was consequently enlarged, and the Aberavon Division reduced to Glyncorrwg, Michaelston Higher and Baglan Higher. In 1974 the Aberavon Division and Port Talbot Borough Division were merged to form Port Talbot Division, with the same boundaries as the new Borough of Afan (later Port Talbot).
Scope and content: Court registers, licensing records, minute books and other records, 1894-1974
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into court registers, licensing records, minute books and other records.
Conditions governing access: Items within this collection which contain information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy catalogue at item level is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, and an online version is on the West Glamorgan Archive Service website.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Related units of description: See also the records of Aberavon (later Port Talbot) Borough Petty Sessions (to 1974), and of Port Talbot Petty Sessions (post 1974), reference P/S PT, at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Andrew Dulley, West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: January 2009