West Glamorgan Archive Service
Upper Forest & Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd, Morriston
Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW UF
Title: Upper Forest & Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd, Morriston
Short title: Upper Forest & Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd, Morriston
Dates of creation: n.d. [1930s]-1936
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.009 cubic metres (1 box)
Name of creator(s): Upper Forest & Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd, Morriston
Administrative and biographical history: Situated under Morriston approximately 3 miles from Swansea to the left of Neath Road, the Upper Forest works was the first of its kind in Morriston having been commenced in 1845 by William Hallam, on the site of a gist mill. The tin works were worked by water power at its humble beginning when it consisted of one mill. The Worcester works were opened in 1868, a company formed by William Williams of Maes-y-gwernen Hall, Llangyfelach. The works later absorbed the Upper Forest works and the combined undertaking was responsible for a large proportion of the output of the Port. The works were registered as the Upper Forest and Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd in October 1898 and over the years have frequently change hands. The buildings of the two works covered an area of 20 acres and in addition 40 acres of supplementary land were included in the firm‼sup>TMs property. The works closed in 1958 and were completely demolished during 1960-61, where the site was cleared in order to prepare the way for its future occupation by other industry.
Scope and content: Plans relating to the Upper Forest and Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd, Morriston, n.d. [1930s]-1936
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online. Detailed catalogue
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004 as part of The Royal Institution of South Wales Collection.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: May 2006