West Glamorgan Archive Service
Swansea Pilotage Authority Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW SPA
Title: Swansea Pilotage Authority Collection
Short title: Swansea Pilotage Authority, papers
Dates of creation: 1925-1951
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.018 cubic metres (2 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Swansea Pilotage Authority
Administrative and biographical history: Prior to 1766 pilotage existed and was operated by fishermen and local seamen with special knowledge of the area. Bristol controlled all pilotage in the greater part of the Bristol Channel. Bristol exercised this power for pilotage into the ports of South Wales. Swansea obtained independent control in 1791 due to the Swansea Harbour Act. The Swansea Pilotage Authority was therefore formed in 1791. The Pilot House served the needs of Swanseaâ€TMs sea pilots for the greater part of the 20th century. Pilots have been working out of Swansea ever since sea trading routes were established in the early Middle Ages, although they were not properly established by committee until the Swansea Harbour Act, 1791.
Scope and content: Swansea Pilot Authority Pay Sheets, 1938-1951; Swansea Pilotage Authority papers, 1935-1941; Invitation, 1925; Letters of acceptance and decline, 1925; Minutes of the Swansea Pilotage Authority, c.1932; General correspondence and papers of the Swansea Pilotage Authority, 1928-1944; Miscellaneous papers relating to Swansea Pilotage Authority, [1940s]
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: The collection was originally box listed at Swansea Museum. This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online. Detailed catalogue
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004 as part of The Royal Institution of South Wales Collection.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: May 2006