West Glamorgan Archive Service
Bach-y-gwreiddyn Estate Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW BG
Title: Bach-y-gwreiddyn Estate Collection
Short title: Bach-y-gwreiddyn Estate Collection, papers
Dates of creation: 1481-1808
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.009 cubic metres (1 box)
Name of creator(s): The Matthew family
Administrative and biographical history: This estate consisted of properties in the parishes of Bishopston, Llangennith, Llanrhidian, Loughor and Swansea which belonged to the Mathew family of Little Hill, Bishopston. In the 16th century the family were farmers, the head describing himself as ‼sup>~yeoman‼sup>TM, but by the 17th century, after a number of purchases of farms and scattered pieces of land, the Mathew family were able to describe themselves as gentlemen. The estate was inherited by Margaret Mathew, as the granddaughter and heiress of Owen Mathew senior. In 1699 she married Richard Prichard of Bach-y-gwreiddyn, and the estate became part of the Prichard family holdings. Little Hill was situated in the middle of the parish of Bishopston, near Pennard Mill, to the north of the village of Bishopston. The house is marked on the tithe map of 1844, but by the time of the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1877 the house had been demolished.
Scope and content: Deeds relating to the Bach-y-gwreiddyn estate, 1481-1808; Bonds relating to the Bach-y-gwreiddyn estate, 1569-1734; Legal papers relating to the Bach-y-gwreiddyn estate, n.d.-1615
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: The collection was originally catalogued with the Collins papers (RISW C) by the University College of Swansea Library. This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. From 1966 onwards the records were moved to the library in the University College, Swansea in consignments. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004 as part of The Royal Institution of South Wales Collection.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: May 2006