West Glamorgan Archive Service
St John-juxta-Swansea Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 P 106 CW
Title: St John-juxta-Swansea Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Short title: St John-juxta-Swansea ecclesiastical parish records
Dates of creation: 1797-1999
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 1.2 linear metres
Name of creator(s): St John-juxta-Swansea Parish
Administrative and biographical history: Ancient parish; has at various times been joint with Llansamlet, Llangyfelach and Swansea St Mary's. The church was originally sited on High Street, near the railway station (in fact, outside the parish), but was rebuilt on a new site in the Hafod in 1879. The old church was rebuilt as St Matthew's. Manselton was formed out of the northern half of the parish c. 1919. St John's is currently joint with St Mark's.
Scope and content: Registers (including service and banns registers) 1797-1987; papers relating to church property and buildings 1832-1994; Vestry minutes 1823-1920; Easter Vestry and PCC minutes 1890-1995; Churchwardens' and other accounts 1875-1990; church organizations 1936-1955; parish magazines 1900-1990; church history 1980; miscellaneous 1885-1999.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Ecclesiastical records are arranged into Incumbent's records, PCC records, Churchwardens' records and church affairs.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Existence and location of copies: Copies have been made of all baptism, marriage and burial registers for use in the West Glamorgan Archive Service searchroom, and a separate list exists for these
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Ecclesiastical Parishes, catalogue.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: January 2006