West Glamorgan Archive Service
Llangiwg Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 P 59 CW
Title: Llangiwg Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Short title: Llangiwg ecclesiastical parish records
Dates of creation: 1703-2001
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 1.5 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Llangiwg Parish
Administrative and biographical history: Dedicated to St Ciwg. Ancient parish, out of which was created the parish of Ystalyfera (q.v.) in 1911. Includes St Peter's, Pontardawe (built 1858-1862 by William Parsons, and consecrated 1862) and St Mary's, Ynysmeudwy (built 1913, sponsored originally by Mrs Illtyd Thomas of Glanmor, Swansea, and finished by her daughter, Mrs F. W. Gilbertson). All Saints, Pontardawe, originally built by Arthur Gilbertson in memory of his father William as a chapel of ease in the parish of St John, Clydach in 1886, was transferred to Llangiwg parish in 1903.
Scope and content: Registers (including service and banns registers) 1703-1988; licences 1859-1868; Churchwardens' accounts and correspondence 1882-1942; papers relating to church buildings 1887-1954; Vestry minutes 1773-1815; Highway rates 1859; papers relating to church school 1856-1947; church histories 1963 and c. 2001.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Existence and location of copies: Copies have been made of all baptism, marriage and burial registers for use in the West Glamorgan Archive Service searchroom, and a separate list exists for these
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Ecclesiastical Parishes, catalogue.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: January 2006