West Glamorgan Archive Service
Briton Ferry Parish Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 P 70
Title: Briton Ferry Parish Records
Short title: Briton Ferry parish records
Dates of creation: 1865
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (1 item)
Name of creator(s): Briton Ferry civil parish
Administrative and biographical history: During the late Middle Ages the parish became increasingly important as a unit of civil administration. From the 16th century unpaid parish officers were responsible for keeping the peace, repairing roads and assisting the poor, by means of a rate levied on the inhabitants of the parish. Civil parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894, taking over responsibilities from parish vestry meetings. The parish of Briton Ferry was in the county of Glamorgan, until local government reorganisation in 1974, when it became part of West Glamorgan.
Scope and content: Solicitor's opinion on the legality of Briton Ferry Vestry raising a special rate to pay expenses incurred in opposing an attempt by Briton Ferry Local Board to take on highway powers, 1865.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Related units of description: Futher material is West Glamorgan Archive Service, UD/BF, NM UD/BF.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Briton Ferry Parish, catalogue.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2005