West Glamorgan Archive Service
Aberavon Tithe Plan and Apportionment
Reference code(s): GB 0216 P 68
Title: Aberavon Tithe Plan and Apportionment
Short title: Aberavon tithe plan and apportionment
Dates of creation: [late 20th century]
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (2 plans, 1 file)
Name of creator(s): Tithe Commission
Administrative and biographical history: Aberavon was a parish in Glamorgan, and is now part of Neath Port Talbot. Tithes were originally payments in kind to the church; by the 19th century, these payments were often commuted to money. In 1836 the Tithe Commission was established to create a new system of rent charges based on landowning in the parish, and between 1836 and 1852 appointed surveyors to make large-scale maps and schedules that listed all landowners and tenants and field-names in a parish, as well as the land-use of each field.
Scope and content: Photocopies [late 20th century] of tithe plan and apportionment, 1841, of Aberavon.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Aberavon Tithe Plan and Apportionment, catalogue; Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History, (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2005