West Glamorgan Archive Service
Margam Parish Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 P 83
Title: Margam Parish Records
Short title: Margam parish, records
Dates of creation: 1799-1891
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (4 vols, 5 papers)
Name of creator(s): Margam Parish
Administrative and biographical history: During late Middle Ages the parish became increasingly important as a unit of civil administration. From the 16th century unpaid parish officers were responsible for keeping the peace, repairing roads and assisting the poor, by means of a rate levied on the inhabitants of the parish. Civil parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894, taking over responsibilities from parish vestry meetings. The parish of Margam was in the county of Glamorgan, until local government reorganisation in 1974, when it became part of West Glamorgan.
Scope and content: Records of Margam parish, 1799-1891, including accounts, 1799-1867; rate books, 1887-1891.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Highway Surveyor's account book; Churchwarden's rate book; Overseers' accounts; rate assessment.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Margam Parish, catalogue.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2005