West Glamorgan Archive Service
Aberavon/Port Talbot Wesleyan Methodist Circuit Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD Wes A
Title: Aberavon/Port Talbot Wesleyan Methodist Circuit Records
Short title: Aberavon/Port Talbot Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, records
Dates of creation: 1867-2001
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.7 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Aberavon/Port Talbot Wesleyan Methodist Circuit
Administrative and biographical history: Aberavon Methodist Circuit was formed out of Neath Circuit, and consists of churches in Aberavon, Cwmacon, Taibach, Cymmer and North Cornelly. The Bible Christian Church, Cymmer joined with the Methodist congregation in Cymmer to form the United Methodist Church. Trinity church was formed out of a union of three churches, Bethel, Zion and Wesley Hall. Wesley Hall was built in Tydraw Street in 1896 as a Wesleyan Methodist church. Zion was a Bible Christian church built in 1861, the culmination of a mission originally established in Cwmavon in 1840. The church became United Methodist in 1907. Bethel was a Primitive Methodist church; the cause began in 1841 when a private house on Cwmavon Road was used for worship, which was replaced by a chapel on Wern Street in 1851. A new chapel on High Street, Bethel, was opened in 1900. In 1963 the three churches combined in new premises built in Tydraw Street. Bethel and Zion were demolished to make way for the new motorway through Port Talbot.
Scope and content: Records of the Aberavon/Port Talbot Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, 1867-2001, including records of an unidentified chapel, 1929-1931, registers of baptisms, 1886-1971; records of the United Methodist Church, Cymmer, 1901-2001; newsletters, 2000-2001, Trinity Methodist Church, Port Talbot, records, 1954-2000; miscellaneous, 1901-1974; and individual church records; 1867-1997.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into Aberavon Circuit records; records relating to individual chapels (arranged by chapel); records relating to other bodies.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Information not available
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Related units of description: Some material relating to the Aberavon Circuit is to be found among the Neath Circuit records at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, reference D/D Wes/N.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Aberavon/Port Talbot Wesleyan Methodist Circuit Records, catalogue.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: August 2005