West Glamorgan Archive Service
County Borough/ City of Swansea. Town Clerk's and Chief Executive Department. Estates Department. Records and Correspondence
Reference code(s): GB 0216 EA 51
Title: County Borough/ City of Swansea. Town Clerk's and Chief Executive Department. Estates Department. Records and Correspondence
Short title: Estates Department of the County Borough/ City of Swansea, records and correspondence
Dates of creation: 1822-1986
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium:
Name of creator(s): Estates Department of the County Borough/ City of Swansea
Administrative and biographical history: In September 1835 the old corporation of the medieval borough of Swansea was replaced by a new municipal corporation. In 1889 the borough was made autonomous from the surrounding county of Glamorgan and became a county borough. In 1969 the borough was granted city status. Following local government reorganisation in 1974 boroughs and county boroughs ceased to exit. Swansea retained the title of City.
Scope and content: Estates Department of the County Borough / City of Swansea records and general correspondence includes of the Swansea Corporation, 1890-1974; minerals and quarrying, 1912-1951; housing and post-war housing, 1885-1983; harbours, 1889-1947; sewers and drainage, 1908-1976; roads and pathways, 1907-1977, and the Parc Llewelyn foothpaths, 1886-1904; cemeteries, 1889-1974; lease and lease renewal, 1822-1981; the Goitre Fawr smallholding, 1921-1955; land, 1832-1986; Judges Lodgings, 1918-1926; schedules of dilapidations, 1828-1979; building applications, 1887-1971; allotments, 1913-1981; electricity, 1915-1963; properties, 1885-1983; Air Raid Precaution, 1939-1975; Evening Post offices, Adelaide Street, 1948-1970; Fairwood Common Aerodrome, 1939-1978; Oxford Street Market, 1941-1973; Swansea Baths and Laundry Co. Ltd., 1940-1970; Swansea Slaughterhouse/Abattoir, 1935-1968; town planning schemes, 1938-1953; tithe redemption annuities, 1926-1977; Ebenezer Street, 1938-1983; St. Helens ground, 1943-1975; Sketty Park Estate, 1928-1985; Usk Water Scheme, 1942-1961; Cambrian Dry Docks General Engineering (Swansea) Ltd., 1933-1984; Cwmgwyn Estate, 1925-1950; Swansea Housing (Clearance and Development), 1933-1976, and slum clearance, 1936-1969; public conveniences, 1919-1971; schools, 1925-1971; recreations, 1924-1970.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible.
Related units of description: See also West Glamorgan Archive Service, County Borough / City of Swansea. Town Clerk Department Records and Correspondence GB 0216 TC 38, 53, 228, 231, 322, 330.
Note: Title from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, County Borough / City of Swansea. Town Clerk's and Chief Executive Department. Estates Department general correspondence.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: August 2005