West Glamorgan Archive Service
Swansea Corporation Records
Reference code(s): GB 0216 B/S Corp
Title: Swansea Corporation Records
Short title: Swansea Corporation, records
Dates of creation: 1234-1902
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 12.6 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Swansea Corporation
Administrative and biographical history: The ancient borough of Swansea consisted of Burgesses. The aldermen were a self-appointing body, one of whom would be the Portreeve, elected annually at Michaelmas. The two Common Attorneys attended the Portreeve on public occasions and managed corporation finances. There were four Haywards, whose job it was to prevent trespassers on corporation lands on the Burrows (the seashore and sandbanks) and the upland areas around Townhill. There was a Learkeeper to oversee the passage of ships and their cargoes through the harbour, a Crier to announce important events in the town, and six Constables to keep the peace. In September 1835, Swansea's old corporation was replaced by a new municipal corporation.
Scope and content: Swansea Borough charters, 1234-1836; Common hall books and council minute books, 1547-1852; financial and estate records, 1530-1857, comprising of Common Attorney's account books 1617-1762; estate rentals and account books 1802-1857; Borough and church lease book 1530-1787; leases 1737/8-1835; vouchers 1764-1824; church and poor law records 1558-1836, including account books and rate books 1558-1842; Poor house minute book 1788-1793; House of Industry vouchers 1821-1836; settlement certificates and bonds 1636-1719, and apprenticeship indentures 1625-1709. Also paving and lighting records 1809-1850; Swansea Grammar School education records, 1813-1894; the Town Clerk's office papers, 1804-1902, include papers relating to Parliamentary and local elections railways, 1804-1902; the Guildhall papers, 1825-1847; other Town Clerk's office papers, 1825-1858; and collected manuscripts and transcripts, 1545-1832
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following groups: Swansea Borough charters; Common hall books and council minute books; Financial and estate records; Church and poor law records; Paving and Lighting records; Education records; Town Clerk's office papers; Collected manuscripts and transcripts
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service and online on the West Glamorgan Archive Service website.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Prior to their deposit at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, these records were held at Swansea University Archives.
Related units of description: The original charter is no longer in existence, but there is a copy in the Public Record Office.The charters were transcribed in 1867 by George Grant Francis in an unpublished printed work entitled Charters granted to Swansea, the chief borough of the Seignory of Gower in the marches and Co. of Glamorgan,. There are two copies of this work available in the archives, references P/123/CW/642 and D/D JVH 153.
Note: Title from content of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW Project.The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Catalogue of the Swansea Corporation Records; Collis, Kim, The West Glamorgan Archive Service, A Guide to the Collections (Swansea, 1998).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: August 2005.