West Glamorgan Archive Service
Lynch-Blosse Estate Papers
Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD SB 18
Title: Lynch-Blosse Estate Papers
Short title: Lynch-Blosse estate papers
Dates of creation: 1843-1963
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.6 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Lynch-Blosse family of Galway and Glamorgan
Administrative and biographical history: Rev. Henry Lynch Blosse, vicar of Newcastle, near Bridgend, who was born in Llandaff, and married Charlotte Fanny Knight of Tythegston Court in 1844. He later went on to become Archdeacon and Dean of Llandaff Cathedral. His sister, meanwhile, married James Lewis of Maesteg, who in 1858 bought the Cryddan Park estate, to the south of Neath, from John Henry Grant of Gnoll. This estate was sold in 1882 to the Rev. Henry Lynch Blosse. In the years after 1858 the Cryddan Park Estate was parcelled up into building plots and leased out, and as a result a number of houses were built on what became Lewis Road, Cryddan Road and Eastland Terrace Road. Through a bequest from a John Richards, the Lynch-Blosse family also acquired farms called Bedw (to the south of Cymmer, in Llantrisant parish) and Penylan (to the north of Nantyffyllon, in Llangynwyd parish). Rich coal seams lay beneath Bedw Farm. Penylan Farm, like the Cryddan Park estate, was parcelled up and leased for building, and many of the leases were subsequently sold in the 1950s and 1960s. In 1942 Sir Robert Cyril Lynch-Blosse became the 13th Baronet Lynch-Blosse of Galway, taking over that title from his cousin Major Robert Lynch-Blosse, who lived in Kilkenny.
Scope and content: Papers of the Lynch-Blosse estate, 1843-1963, including marriage settlements, wills and deeds relating to trusts, 1843-1896; deeds relating to the Cryddan Park Estate, Neath, 1858-1907; deeds relating to properties at Nantyffyllon, 1869-1895; papers relating to minerals at Penylan Farm, 1887-1908; papers relating to sale of leaseholds at Nantyffyllon, 1887-1962; Penylan and Bedw Joint Estate, 1914-1950; deeds of minerals under Bedw Farm, 1873-1935; correspondence, 1889-1961; papers relating to the succession of the Baronetcy of members of the Lynch-Blosse family, 1911-1963; papers relating to the sale of the Penylan Estate, 1961-1962.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Estate deeds and settlements; Conveyances and leases; Miscellaneous papers
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Catalogue of the Lynch-Blosse Estate Papers.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: August 2005