West Glamorgan Archive Service
David Trevillian Jenkin Papers
Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD SB 16
Title: David Trevillian Jenkin Papers
Short title: Jenkin, David Trevillian, papers
Dates of creation: 1620-1987
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 2.7 linear metres
Name of creator(s): David Trevillian Jenkin; John Trevillian Jenkin
Administrative and biographical history: David Trevillian Jenkin (1871-1915) was the eldest son of Albert and Eliza Jenkin of Ibsley, Hampshire. At his father's death he moved to Swansea with his mother, to live with his great-uncle, John Trevillian Jenkin, at Mirador, in the Uplands area of Swansea. John Trevillian Jenkin had worked as a solicitor in Swansea, and had inherited a number of properties in the Swansea area, and at his death in 1888 he left an estate worth £28501 1s 1d, which was inherited by David Trevillian Jenkin. He later moved to Bristol, where he married Beatrice Norville in 1901. He lived at Sneyd Park, Clifton, and also had a house called 'The Mirador' in Hambrook, near Bristol. The Jenkin estate consisted of scattered farms and mineral properties in the parishes of Bishopston, Llanrhidian, Swansea, Loughor, Llandeilo Tal-y-bont, Llangyfelach and Llansamlet, and further afield in Carmarthenshire. Many of the Gower properties formerly belonged to the Mathews family during the 17th and 18th centuries. Branches of this family lived in Loughor, in Llangyfelach and in Bishopston, where they held several leasehold and freehold properties, and held the rank of minor gentry.
Scope and content: Papers of David Trevillian Jenkin, 1620-1987, including deeds mainly relating to land in Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire and Bristol, 1620-1972; wills and trusts, 1622-1975; papers relating to property sales, 1838-1933; civil registration records and copies of parish register entries, 1897-1968; plans, 1777-1928; insurance papers, 1938-1958; declarations, 1838-1969; correspondence, 1876-1987; schedules, 1856-1962; papers relating to the South Wales Electric Power Company and The South Wales Electricity Board, 1935-1972.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Title deeds and leases; Wills and trusts; Property sales; Civil registration and copies of parish register entries; Plans; Insurance; Declarations; Correspondence; Arbitration; Copyhold tenure; Killan Collieries; Legacy duty; Post Office; Rentals; Schedules; The South Wales Electric Power Company and the South Wales Electricity Board; Specification of work; War Agricultural Committee; War Department
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Strick and Bellingham, solicitors, Swansea, 1993.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Catalogue of the David Trevillian Jenkin Papers
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: August 2005