West Glamorgan Archive Service

Benson Estate Papers

Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD SB 12

Held at:

Title: Benson Estate Papers

Short title: Benson Estate, papers

Dates of creation: 1827-1922

Level of description: Fonds

Extent and medium: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): Benson family estate


Administrative and biographical history: The Benson family had its origins in North Yorkshire before moving to London. Thomas Starling Benson (1775-1858) was a merchant involved in several businesses including copper smelting. From the 1820s he became involved with the copper industry in Swansea and Glamorgan in co-partnership as Benson, Usborne and Company. Benson married three times. Starling Benson (1808-1879) was his son by his second wife, Hannah Newbury. Starling settled in Swansea in 1830, becoming Mayor in 1843 and Chairman of the Swansea Harbour Trust in 1856. He and his father's interests spread to include coal mining and they owned much mineral rich land in Glamorgan, in particular in the vicinity of Penclawdd in Llanrhidian. In about 1860 Starling moved from Swansea to Fairy Hill, Reynoldston. The bulk of his estate was inherited by Starling Meux Benson (1846-1933) and William Denman Benson (1848-1919), sons of his half brother, Henry Roxby Benson (1818-1892).


Scope and content: Deeds, leases and other documents of the Benson family, 1827-1922, relating mainly to their industrial activities and their properties in Llanrhidian, Reynoldston, Briton Ferry, Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Llangennith, Llangiwg, Llangyfelach, Llanmadog and Llansamlet, Glamorgan.


Language/script: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at West Glamorgan Archive Service and the National Register of Archives.
Detailed catalogue


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Information not available

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: The records were accumulated by Strick and Bellingham (Solicitors) of Swansea.

Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.


Related units of description: Other records are University of Wales Swansea, Archives, Library and Information Services, Benson Collection, and University of Wales Swansea, Archives, Library and Information Services, LAC/157.


Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Catalogue of the Benson Estate Papers; Bayliffe, Dorothy M., and Joan N. Harding, Starling Benson of Swansea (Bridgend, 1996).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of description: August 2005



Coal mines and mining | Wales | Swansea

Copper industry and trade | Wales | Swansea

Deeds | Wales | Llanrhidian

Deeds | Wales | Neath Port Talbot

Deeds | Wales | Swansea

Personal names

Benson family, of Swansea

Benson, Starling, 1808-1879

Benson, Thomas Starling, 1775-1858

Corporate names

Benson Estate (Wales)



Neath Port Talbot