West Glamorgan Archive Service
Dyffryn (Gwyn) Estate Papers
Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD SB 4
Title: Dyffryn (Gwyn) Estate Papers
Short title: Dyffryn (Gwyn) estate, papers
Dates of creation: 1711-1990
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 7 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Dyffryn (Gwyn) estate
Administrative and biographical history: The Gwyn family estates stretched from Brecon, Brecknockshire, and north Carmarthenshire to Neath and the Loughor estuary in Glamorgan. The Gwyn family traced their descent from Brychan, the fifth century prince of Brycheiniog. However by the 17th century the family were much reduced in circumstances. The family's fortunes took a turn for the better when William Gwyn, a Neath lawyer, married Elizabeth, the daughter of Hugh Edwards of Blaensawdde, Llanddeusant, Carmarthenshire. In 1755 their children, including John Gwyn, inherited the Blaensawdde estate. Twenty years later the Abercrâf Estate in Brecknockshire was bequeathed to John's son, William Gwyn (d. 1830), for life, to pass to his eldest son. The combined estates covered thousands of acres, mostly upland pasture. The revenues from this land funded the purchase of several neighbouring farms. In 1818 the Earl of Jersey sold the scattered lands of his Briton Ferry Estate to the west of the River Tawe. The bulk of the property, including thirty-six farms, was purchased by William Gwyn for £23,300. The Dyffryn estate in Cadoxton-juxta-Neath had been owned by the Williams family and then the Fredericks family of Crickhowell. In 1854 William Gwyn's son, Howell Gwyn (d. 1888), MP, purchased the estate and built a new mansion, Dyffryn House. Howell died childless and the estates passed to his widow Ellen Elizabeth Gwyn, and on her death in 1900 to her nephew Joseph Edward Moore (d. 1922) of Longford Court, with the proviso that he change his name to Moore-Gwyn. Joseph inherited the Glanbrân and Birchgrove estates in Llansamlet. He was succeeded in 1922 by his son Joseph Gwyn Moore-Gwyn. Most of the estate was sold between 1916 and 1927. Between 1925 and 1927 in particular, many tenants bought the freehold to the properties they had been renting. The house at Dyffryn was sold in 1928 and demolished in 1931. Beneath the majority of the Glamorgan and Ystradgynlais farms lay rich veins of coal, which was in great demand during the boom in industry in the Swansea and Neath areas. With the coal mines came a need for accommodation for the coal miners. Certain farms were divided into plots which saw the building of Pontarddulais, Alltwen, Rhos, Penycae and Craig-cefn-parc.
Scope and content: Estate and solicitors' papers of the Gwyn (later Moore-Gwyn) family of Dyffryn, 1711-1990, including deeds, leases and other documents relating to properties of the Abercrâf, Blaensawdde, Briton Ferry, Neath Abbey, Dyffryn, Glanbrân and Birchgrove estates in Llangyfelach, Cilybebyll, Llandeilo Talybont, Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Llanrhidian, Neath, Llansamlet, Llangynwyd and Llantrisant, Glamorgan, Ystradgynlais, Llanfihangel-Nant-Bran, Defynnog, Llywel, Merthyr Cynog and Brecon, Brecknockshire, Llanddeusant, Llangadog, Llandingat, Myddfai and Cilycwm, Carmarthenshire, 1711-1990; deeds and leases for minerals under the Gwyn estates in Glamorgan and Ystradgynlais, 1862-1969; correspondence relating to conveyances of houses to tenants, 1941-1947; sales catalogues for parts of the estates, 1916-1927; family wills and settlements, 1809-1934; mortgages, trusts and bonds, 1879-1958; tenancy agreements, 1886-1953; wayleave grants and agreements, 1903-1952; papers relating to the tithes and advowson of Llandeilo Talybont, 1822-1854; rentals, 1920-1974; accounts, 1920-1962; vouchers, 1928-1954; statements of accounts, 1920-1969; correspondence files, 1894-1961; plans, 1913-1964.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Abercrâf Estate; Blaensawdde Estate; Breconshire deeds; Mid Glamorgan deeds; Neath deeds; Briton Ferry Estate deeds; Neath Abbey and Cwrtrhyrhir estates deeds; purchase of the Dyffryn Estate; Glanbrân and Birchgrove Estates; Llandeilo Talybont tithes; mineral deeds and leases; conveyances of the Gwyn Estate; other deeds and leases; estate management.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records were accumulated by Strick and Bellingham of Swansea, solicitors, who acted on behalf of the estate.
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Related units of description: Further records of the Dyffryn (Gwyn) Estate are at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, (GB 0216) D/D Gw
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Catalogue Of The Dyffryn (Gwyn) Estate Papers; Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families (Newport, Pembrokeshire, 1997); Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales (Baltimore, 1991) (fascimile of 1875 ed.).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2005