West Glamorgan Archive Service
Ynystawe Estate Papers
Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD SB 3
Title: Ynystawe Estate Papers
Short title: Ynystawe estate, papers
Dates of creation: 1595-1955
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 4.5 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Ynystawe estate
Administrative and biographical history: In the 17th century the area around Ynystawe, Glamorgan, including Bwllfa, Plâs Bach, Gwernfadog and Ynystawe farms, belonged to the Popkin/John family of Forest, Llansamlet, and formed part of a much larger estate. During the 18th century the fortunes of the Popkin family declined and the Ynystawe Estate was sold, first to Michael Southcote, then to Thomas Lott (d. ) in 1792. In 1787 his daughter, Martha Lott (d. ), had married Edward Martin (d. ), an engineer involved in local industry, and on her father's death inherited his estates. Other lands were bought by them from the Snead family of Swansea, and mineral rights from the trustees of the estate of Sir Watkin Lewis. Among their several children was William Martin (-1879) who inherited the estate. By the time of his death in 1879 he owned lands and minerals locally, including the villages of Aberclydach, Cwmrhydyceirw, Ynystawe, Bwllfa and parts of Pentrepoeth and Morriston. In terms of estate revenue, the most lucrative activity was coal mining with leases assigned to collieries in the Loughor, Llanrhidian, Cockett and Morriston areas. Following William Martin's death the Ynystawe estate passed into the hands of trustees, including John Player of Quarr House, Clydach, and the solicitors, Strick and Bellingham of Swansea.
Scope and content: Records relating to the Ynystawe estate, 1595-1955, including deeds, leases and wills relating to properties in Llangyfelach (including Ynystawe, Clydach and Morriston), Bishopston, Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Ilston, Llanddewi, Llangennith, Llangiwg, Llansamlet, Llantrisant, Penrice, Reynoldston, Rhosili, St John-juxta-Swansea and Swansea, Glamorgan, and Bettws, Llanedi and Llannon, Carmarthenshire, 1595-1923; industrial leases relating to Llangiwg, Llangyfelach, Llanrhidian, Loughor, St John-juxta-Swansea and Swansea, Glamorgan, 1806-1940; letter books, 1889-1948; rentals, 1890-1947; valuations, 1908, 1915; journals of financial transactions, 1896-1940; mineral royalty accounts, 1919-1942; ledgers and cash books, 1896-1948; lease and license registers, 1889-1955; estate maps, 1836-1933; papers of the Martin family, 1812-1874; sales particulars of the Ynystawe estate, 1917.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: estate management after the death of William Martin; deeds; family papers (1st deposit); deeds; maps; rentals (2nd deposit).
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at West Glamorgan Archive Service and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Information not available
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records were inherited by Strick and Bellingham of Swansea, solicitors, who were among the trustees of the estate.
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Related units of description: Further estate records are in University of Wales Swansea, John Player and Sons Limited.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Catalogue of the Ynystawe Estate Papers; Collis, Kim, West Glamorgan Archive Service - A Guide to the Collections (West Glamorgan Archive Service, 1998).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2005