West Glamorgan Archive Service
Report on lands belonging to the War Department at the Mumbles
Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD PRO MOD
Title: Report on lands belonging to the War Department at the Mumbles
Short title: War Department, Mumbles land, report
Dates of creation: 1863
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (1 vol)
Name of creator(s): Great Britain. War Office
Administrative and biographical history: The Duke of Beaufort leased the outer island at Mumbles Head, Glamorgan, to the War Department during the late 19th century. A blockhouse was built near the Mumbles lighthouse in 1860 as a defence against possible invasion from France. Samuel Howlett (1794-1874), military surveyor and inventor produced a report on the defences in 1863.
Scope and content: Report and plan, 1863, on lands belonging to the War Department at the Mumbles, Glamorgan.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Information not available
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Report on lands belonging to the War Department at the Mumbles, Glamorganshire, by Samuel B. Howlett, 1863, catalogue; Enjoy Gower Homepage, (http://www.enjoygower.com/), viewed 26 January 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: January 2005