West Glamorgan Archive Service
Swansea Volunteers Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW SV
Title: Swansea Volunteers Collection
Short title: Swansea Volunteers, papers
Dates of creation: 1801-1882
Level of description: fonds
Extent and medium: 0.009 cubic metres (1 box)
Name of creator(s): The Swansea Volunteers
Administrative and biographical history: Swansea Royal Volunteers were raised in 1796, with the specific responsibility to defend Swansea. At this date it was commanded by Captain John Beavan and other officers included Captain William Jones and Captain John Landeg. By 1797 William Jones had been promoted to Major and John Landeg had succeeded Beavan as Lt Colonel Commandant, Beavan having been made Lt Colonel. The Corps was probably made up of three or four companies and most of the records in this archive relate to the company of Captain William Jones. The Corps was disbanded in 1802. However by 1859 the Government became increasingly aware of Britain's vulnerability to attack. It was decided to revive the Volunteer Movement. It was the responsibility of the Lord Lieutenant of each county to form the volunteer corp. C. R. M. Talbot the Lord Lieutenant of Glamorgan established the Local Volunteer Rifle Corp during 1859. George Grant Francis put forward the case for an artillery corps and took command of the 1st (Swansea) Corps, Glamorgan Artillery Volunteers in the same year.
Scope and content: Declaration of engagements, 1801; Monthly pay lists, 1801-02; Members lists, n.d. and 1801-02; Correspondence, 1801-1856; Papers relating to the Swansea Volunteer Force, n.d.-1882; Volunteer Force Publications, 1859-1882; Papers relating to the Fry family, 1860-1871
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Part of this collection was originally catalogued at University College Library, Swansea, where an interpretation of the original order was made. This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. From 1966 onwards the records were moved to the library in the University College, Swansea in consignments. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: Prior to 16-11-2004; Source amended by ANW project, January 2005; This descripti