West Glamorgan Archive Service
James and Collins Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW JC
Title: James and Collins Collection
Short title: James and Collins (solicitors) collection of deeds
Dates of creation: 1699-1895
Level of description: fonds
Extent and medium: 0.054 cubic metres (6 boxes)
Name of creator(s): James and Collins solicitors
Administrative and biographical history: James and Collins were solicitors based in Swansea. It is unclear when James and Collins came into partnership, but they are named in the Swansea Guide, 1823 as being situated on Castle Street. They can be traced at the same location in the Swansea Directory, 1830, and again in Pigots Directory of 1836, where Charles Collins is listed as coroner for the seignory of Gower. John James of the partnership died 30 June 1839 aged 75. Charles Collins (1796-1862) was a solicitor, alderman and portreeve (1802, 1812, 1830) of Swansea and the son of Rev. John Collins (RISW Co).
Scope and content: Deeds of properties in Swansea parish, 1702-1870; Deeds of properties in Oystermouth parish, 1750-1838; Deeds of properties in Pennard parish, 1814-1815; Deeds of properties in Llangyfelach parish, 1762-1808; Deeds of properties in Llanrhidian parish, 1774-1858; Deeds of properties in Llandeilo Talybont parish, 1820-1834; Deeds of properties in Cadoxton and Neath parish, 1701-1813; Other title deeds, 1711-1888; Wills, 1738-1867; Office papers, 1787-1876; Other papers, 1699-1788.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English; some Latin
System of arrangement: The collection was originally catalogued at University College Library, Swansea, where an interpretation of the original order was made. This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.
Conditions governing access: : No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. From 1966 onwards the records were moved to the library in the University College, Swansea in consignments. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: Prior to 16-11-2004; Source amended by ANW, January 2005; This description May 2