West Glamorgan Archive Service
Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW Pa
Title: Padley Collection
Short title: Padley family (merchants) of Swansea, papers
Dates of creation: 1692-1957
Level of description: fonds
Extent and medium: 0.029 cubic metres (1 box)
Name of creator(s): The Padley family
Administrative and biographical history: William Padley of Swansea married Elizabeth Enzor on 7 May 1766 at a Quaker ceremony. They had seven children; William (21 Feb. 1767), Mary (16 March 1768), Elizabeth ( 16 March 1768), Paul (born 1 July 1770, died 16 April 1771), Silvanus (25 May 1774), Timothy (9 Aug. 1777) and Paul (25 Dec. 1778). William and his son Silvanus Padley, appear to have been iron mongers, builders, wine merchants, timber merchants and ship chandlers, in Swansea as well as wholesalers supplying merchants in Carmarthen and other West Wales towns. William Padley was a member of the corporation of Swansea in 1787, and was an originator of the first Swansea Canal. He was also a Quaker, and by 1790 had superintendence of the Friends Burial Ground at Lammas Street, Carmarthen. William Padley died either 1800 or early 1801. Silvanus Padley married Elizabeth Wier at St. Mary's Church, Swansea on 31 October 1805. They had six children together; Mary, William, George. Silvanus, John Wier and Archibald Wier. In 1810 Silvanus Padley appears as his father's successor, and also as a harbourmaster (a position he occupied at least until 1830) and unofficial Portuguese Consul Agent.
Scope and content: Society of Friends, c.1692-1791; Receipts, 1762-1810; Business, 1763-1840; Iron mongers, 1765-1791; Swansea Harbour and Shipping trade, 1786-1849; Personal and family business, 1786-1799.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: The collection was originally catalogued at University College Library, Swansea, where an interpretation of the original order was made. This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. From 1966 onwards the records were moved to the library in the University College, Swansea in consignments. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004..
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: Prior to 16-11-2004; Source amended by ANW, January 2005; This description May 2