Pembrokeshire Record Office
Papers of the Saunders-Davies family of Pentre
Reference code(s): GB 0213 D/PEN
Held at: Pembrokeshire Record Office
Title: Papers of the Saunders-Davies family of Pentre
Short title: Saunders-Davies family of Pentre records
Dates of creation: 1584-1926
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.25 cubic metres (17 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Saunders-Davies family of Pentre, Pembrokeshire
Administrative and biographical history: The Pentre estate in Boncath, Manordeifi, Pembrokeshire, came into the possession of the Saunders-Davies family when David Davies (d. 1829) of Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, married Susannah, second and only surviving daughter of Erasmus Saunders of Pentre. The Saunders family had occupied the estate since at least 1698, the estate previously being owned by the Parry family. As part of the Pentre estate, David Davies also inherited the Moel Ifor estate in Llanrhystud, Cardiganshire. The Davies family also owned the Erw Wastod estate in Llanedi, Carmarthenshire, which was purchased by Rhys Davies of Swansea in 1790; he was David Davies' grandfather. David's son and heir, David Arthur Saunders Davies, married Elizabeth Maria, only daughter of Colonel Owen Philipps, of Williamston, Pembroke, in 1829. The estate devolved in the male heir thereafter, the last occupier of Pentre being David Arthur Saunders Davies (b. 1924). According to the 1873 return of owners of land, the Pentre estate, located in Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire, Pembrokeshire, and Glamorgan, measured 9,900 acres and carried an annual rental of £7,669.
Scope and content: Deeds and related papers of the Pentre estate, Pembrokeshire, 1584-1860; estate leases; 1889-1919; Williamston estate rentals and accounts, 1921-1926; family deeds, settlements, wills etc.; and family correspondence, papers and miscellaneous papers, [c. 1765]-1920.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged by box.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Pembrokeshire Record Office and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Pembrokeshire Record Office have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Group Captain D. A. P. Saunders-Davies in January 1970 and January 1973.
Related units of description: Further records of the Pentre estate are National Library of Wales, Morgan Richardson Papers 982-1071.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire and their Families, (Newport, 1996); Burke's Landed Gentry, (London, 1952); Jones, Francis, Historic Cardiganshire Homes and their families, (Newport, 2000); Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families, (Newport, 1997); James, Brian, 'The Great Landowners of Wales in 1873', National Library of Wales Journal, XIV (1965-66).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: August 2001; minor amendments, July 2005