Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Carmarthen Bank Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0211 DB118
Title: Carmarthen Bank Collection
Short title: Carmarthen Bank collection
Dates of creation: 1832
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (1 item)
Name of creator(s): Carmarthen Bank
Administrative and biographical history: The first recorded bank in the town of Carmarthen was David Parry's Bank, established prior to 1791. At this date it was taken over by David Morris, a Carmarthen merchant. Morris also took over the Carmarthen Furnace Bank, founded in 1792. After the failure of the Carmarthen Bank established by Walters, Jones and Company, Morris assumed the name of The Carmarthen Bank in c. 1832.
Scope and content: A £5 banknote, issued 1828, presented under a fiat of Bankruptcy against John Walters, Arthur Jones and David Jones, Bankers and Co-partners.
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archives Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded
Related units of description: Further records of the Carmarthen Bank and the Morris family are in Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Morris of Bryn Myrddin Deeds and Documents.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Business Records; Lodwick, Joyce and Victor Lodwick, The Story of Carmarthen (Carmarthen, 1994).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2003