Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks Records
Reference code(s): GB 0211 DB129
Title: Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks Records
Short title: Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks records
Dates of creation: 1810-1948
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 1.2cubic metres; 18 volumes
Name of creator(s): Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks
Administrative and biographical history: Coal mining began in the 1790s in Pen-y-groes, near Ammanford, Carmarthenshire, but it was not until 1893 that the Emlyn Colliery was built, and 1904 before the Emlyn Colliery Company was established. The owner was G. Aeron Thomas. The Emlyn Colliery closed in 1939, but the Emlyn Brickworks remained open until the mid-1990s. The Colliery was the place of a six week long strike in the summer of 1934, the miners being led by Arthur Horner.
Scope and content: Records of the Emlyn Colliery and Brickworks, 1810-1948, including deeds relating to the Llangadock estate, 1810-1935; Llangadock estate accounts, 1938-1948; deeds relating to land in Llangefelach, 1904-1925; inventory of plant and machinery at Emlyn Colliery, 1905; blueprints and plans, 1915-[1960s]; accounts, 1925-1946; invoices, 1939-1944, subsidence claims, 1940; compensation forms, 1930s; fire and explosion reports, [1930s]; correspondence, 1890-1943; dispatch letters, 1939-1940; press cuttings, 1945; catalogues, 1930s; war pamphlets and letters, 1940-1946; and lantern slides of the colliery, [c. 1905].
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: The fonds is uncatalogued; it is arrnged into boxes.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the Box List is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archives Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The archive was kept in the family of G Aeron Thomas.
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains earlier deeds and estate papers realtion to land leased by the company.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Business Records; Davies, John, 'The Emlyn Colliery', Carmarthenshire Antiquary 30, pp. 136-138 (1994).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2003