Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Ungoed-Thomas and King Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0211 UNGING
Title: Ungoed-Thomas and King Collection
Short title: Ungoed-Thomas and King, solicitors, collection of Carmarthenshire deeds and records
Dates of creation: 1719-1972
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.29 cubic metres and one volume
Name of creator(s): Ungoed-Thomas and King, Solicitors
Administrative and biographical history: Ungoed-Thomas and King, Solicitors, of Quay Street, Carmarthen, were established c. 1878 and continue to offer legal services. The firm accumulated deeds and other papers of many estates and properties in Carmarthenshire. The Popkin family of Llangynog, Carmarthenshire, held land in Llangynin, Llangynog, and Tre-lech a'r Betws, Carmarthenshire, between c. 1740 and 1780. The Benyon family owned Bwlch and Blaencynnen, in the parishes of Merthyr and Newchurch, Carmarthenshire; by 1855, William Edward Bevan Gwyn, of Cwthhir, owned the estate. Castillyrhingill, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, was owned by Griffith Griffies (d. 1791) and passed onto his grandson, Griffith Powell (d. 1847) and his family. Dinas Mill, Tre-lech a'r Betws, was owned by Michael Evans, of Hafodwenog, in 1861; between 1880-1890, the property was held by David Evans; and by 1895, it was owned by Caleb James. Cwmdwfn Farm, Abergwili, Carmarthenshire, was held by the Morgan family in the period 1865-1882. Llwyn y Barcud, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, was owned by David Williams -, John Griffiths [c. 1796] to , and then the Thomas family, until 1937, when it was conveyed to Mrs M. A. Rees.
Scope and content: Records and collected documents, 1719-1972, including business records of Ungoed-Thomas and King, Solicitors, 1939-1972, including judicial records, 1953-1972; commercial records, [c. 1943]-1960; clients' affairs, 1878-1964; administration of clients' estates, 1917-1958; case records, 1927-1950; miscellaneous, 1913-1962; plans, [c. 1960-1962]; photographs, [c. 1910]-[c. 1960]; deeds, 1740-1780, relating to land in the parishes of Llangynog, Llangynin, Tre-lech a'r Betws; deeds, 1803-1909, relating to Bwlch and Blaencynnen, Merthyr and Newchurch; documents relating mainly to Castillyrhingill, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, 1791-1893; deeds relating to Garregwen, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, 1818-1908; deeds relating to Dinas Mill, Tre-lech a'r Betws, 1861-1912; deeds relating to Cwmdwfn Farm, Abergwili, 1865-1882; deeds and documents relating to land in the parish of St. Peters, Carmarthen, 1835-1913; and deeds and documents relating to Llwyn y Barcud, Kidwelly, 1719-1949.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following groups: Llangynin, Llangynog and Tre-lech a'r Betws deeds; Bwlch and Blaencynnen deeds; Castillyrhingill deeds; Dinas Mill deeds; Cwmdwfn Farm deeds; Ungoed-Thomas and King records; and Llwyn y Barcud, Kidwelly, deeds.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archives Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: Deeds and documents relating to Waunrhydd, Newchurch, have been returned to the depositor.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr Dafydd Williams, Solicitor, of Messrs Ungoed-Thomas and King, Carmarthen, between 1968 and 1989.
Note: Title supplied from depositor of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Solicitors Records; Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff 1969); Jones, Major Francis, Historic Houses of Carmarthenshire and Their Families (Newport, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2003